for the label owners out there

- ask away
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Have DJ sets and podcasts killed music sales? I can go onto RA or mnmlssg and legally download 2-3 hours of awesome music each week, which often more than satisfies my demand. If I discover a particular DJ or producer, I can Google it and find other sets they've done—another 2-3 hours of music.

At that point, buying a vinyl or release would be like buying a single off OK Computer or The Wall.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

NewSc2 wrote:Have DJ sets and podcasts killed music sales? I can go onto RA or mnmlssg and legally download 2-3 hours of awesome music each week, which often more than satisfies my demand. If I discover a particular DJ or producer, I can Google it and find other sets they've done—another 2-3 hours of music.

At that point, buying a vinyl or release would be like buying a single off OK Computer or The Wall.
but DJs need to buy individual tracks.

dance vinyl was always mostly bought by DJs anyway,

i think podcasts have probably killed off the DJ mix CD market though.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: if the music is quality and timeless, it will sell and only gain in value over time, much better than a forgotten mp3 on some old out of date full hardrive in the back of someones junk cupboard.
the last time i looked Mindtours 06 from my label was selling at up to 60 euros on discogs.
it's stuff like this that makes it hard to accept the reality of not seeing any earning from the investments that are required to create and distribute music.

Music has real cultural and personal value. If there weren't piss easy options for just taking it, I don't doubt that people would decide that it was worth their investment.

I think there's a lot of truth in the hangover from the 60s 70s where record labels were necessary, and for people to have ready access to sessions recorded by fabulous musicians... it was a new thing, and many were happy to pay for it. But things have gotten messy since then... the record labels pushed it too far, there is music everywhere, and everything is a mess once again.

In some ways it would be a good thing to return to the roots of seeing very little earnings from being a musician... I think most people making great music would still find a way to survive.. it would be tough but manageable.

But in many other ways that could just be another excuse to just download music for free and ignre the fact that it is a pretty challenging thing, to get music out there.

and it's the little factors like this, that everyone is getting some value from music, and that there is a lot of money made by certain people, that makes the sitatuation harder to deal with.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

LouisVee wrote:
For exemple, I have 600+ vinyls, some Perlon releases, and I wanted badly to buy/listen to Jabberjaw - I speak for some of that(Perlon#31 i think), but its sold-out. So I downloaded it. If I could have buy it from a digital store, I would have do it, but i couldnt.
"sold-out".......

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=82876&ev=mb
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

I think some obvious facts narrow the chances of earning money with techno or house labels wich r underground

The fact the "market" are djs is one of them if u do electronic music wich is comercial etc then you have worldwide market wich is big (nevertheless electronic dance music seels a lot less than rock or hip hop) but if u have
an techno label aimed to djs your potential market is.... 2000 people??

Now you have (lack of quality control wich is changing , as distri are triyng to be more selective) 150000 labels triyng to sell to 2000 people

+ you have 2 different medias in wich to buy the music , sales are divided less profit

+ While Beatport has 100 employes , imagine how much that costs
is there a way to know how much the labels / styles sells ??
I know some top labels wich sell 1200 month average on Beatport
but how is it possible to maintain that structure if some labels in the top 100 Techno only need 120 to get in , i mean to maintain the beatport structure they need LOTS of sales , something doesnt feel righ with this

+ illegal donwloads

+ the crisis

+ other stuff wich should be here but im forgetting however what i have mentioned is more than enought to make some conclusions
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

thomasjaldemark wrote:
LouisVee wrote:
For exemple, I have 600+ vinyls, some Perlon releases, and I wanted badly to buy/listen to Jabberjaw - I speak for some of that(Perlon#31 i think), but its sold-out. So I downloaded it. If I could have buy it from a digital store, I would have do it, but i couldnt.
"sold-out".......

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=82876&ev=mb
Hmmm...
You won!
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

steevio wrote: theres absolutely no point in getting down about the situation, as soon as it became possible to digitise music, it was already too late.
Yeah, no sh!t. I remember I played a gig years ago when final scratch came out and this dude played a whole set of new tunes that he downloaded (without paying). I knew that was the beginning of all this.

I buy mostly digital tracks these days. It's a blessing and curse. It's more affordable and you have a large selection of tracks to choose from, but it's that sea of tunes that comes out every week that is the problem. So many people are churning out the same tune over and over and over. I remember when there was no beaport, I'd grab all the vinyl that came out that week, listen to it all, and buy what I want. That's nearly impossible now with digital.

I will give it up the whatpeopleplay.com guys. They have the right idea. I use Juno also. I refuse to go anywhere near beatport.

There really is no point in worrying about it though. I make music because I like to, not to sell it. If I sell a few, that's cool, but it's certainly not why I make music and it never will be.
nicogrubert
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nicogrubert »

steevio wrote:
but DJs need to buy individual tracks.

dance vinyl was always mostly bought by DJs anyway,

i think podcasts have probably killed off the DJ mix CD market though.
You think, all DJs really buy individual tracks?
I know a lot of DJs who do not buy anything. They download the tracks from P2P or blogs and play them using traktor or something similiar...

Podcasts have killed not only the DJ mix CD market. I think they even stop a lot of music consumers (no DJs) to buy music because you can get music for free...