for the label owners out there

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

steevio wrote:
trak660 wrote:
Themis wrote:if i would saw someone who plays only ripped stuff i would make sure he doesnt get a gig anymore
I don't think many club owners realize how many young new DJs are playing shared music. Would they even care if they found out? :roll:

Why would any DJ want to limit their playlist only to what gets put up on torrents and blogs?
maybe i go to different clubs and events, but the artists who are getting the gigs are usually established and well respected and there because of their reputations as quality DJ's or live acts, and the promoters are not stupid.

when new young artists come in they are under alot of scrutiny and have to prove themselves to even be there in the first place.

i promote an electronic music festival, and if i dont provide top quality artists, i'm not doing my job, and nobody would buy the tickets.
i think we're got it good here in the UK. almost all the nights with more underground music are run be people who love it and want quality. we're had young dj's send us mix demo's and there all been rubbish. you can tell there just downloading stuff because it's all just the months big hits. thats the last thing we want at our night.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
i think we're got it good here in the UK. almost all the nights with more underground music are run be people who love it and want quality. we're had young dj's send us mix demo's and there all been rubbish. you can tell there just downloading stuff because it's all just the months big hits. thats the last thing we want at our night.
agreed, but i'm wondering where dont they have it good ?

its the same in Germany, Spain, Japan, Ibiza, Slovakia, Estonia etc etc.

where are we talking about, where the promoters dont care about who they put on, and the DJ's play podcasts ??
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

this topic is dealing with a pretty big amount of diffrent issues.. there's the issue of exposure... it's not always that the best artists are the most well known.. and then of course theres a million and one other issues.

I think music is a service to humankind, and it's not fair to expect people to do it for free. I think there are gonna be hard times to deal with, that are the nature of this game, but if you wanna make $$ then underground music lifestyle is not the right path. I think you've got to develop some strength to ride out the hard times, and to not take it too personally.

But of course it hard not to take it personally sometimes. (not that I can talk from too much experience... I've only been here for a little while).

Anyways. Music is important... it's a rough patch right now, and things are changing.. I think the return to a focus on live performance could be interesting.

People were very prepared to pay for records in the 60s I think... it allowed them a slice of the culture that was developing all around them that they could access at any time. They were paying for dreams and magic.

I think that nowadays people can have any music from any time any time they like. Music is much more of a disposable product. It may be fantastic music and made by dedicated professionals, but maybe these days that does not make it stand out.

Personally I think recorded music still will have a valuable place, but I think live music represents the magic that is the antidote to the poisins of the time in the same way that music from the 60s did.

Or maybe I'm just full of sh!t.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:

where are we talking about, where the promoters dont care about who they put on, and the DJ's play podcasts ??
from what i've read on this board things are not to good in some American cities and Belgium. but i'm only going by what people on mnml.nl have said in this discussion and others.
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

tone-def wrote:
steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:

from what i've read on this board things are not to good in some American cities and Belgium. but i'm only going by what people on mnml.nl have said in this discussion and others.
it's pretty bad here in southern california. i live in a pretty populated area, and 2-3 years ago i'd have to travel far just to hear commercial electronic music. nowadays it's better (sander kleinenberg :oops: just played locally), but forget it for underground stuff.

there are a couple clubs that play decent deep house, and one that hosts a biweekly or monthly mnml night (that i haven't gotten to check out yet), but the people who like electronic music here (a huge minority) still think electro is king. and lots of those places try to sneak in top 40 and hip hop with their electro nights. terrible.

p.s. LA has a good scene, but it's just far enough away for me to be difficult to get to. the 4am-5am drive home always puts a damper on my night.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

NewSc2 wrote:
tone-def wrote:
steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:

it's pretty bad here in southern california. i live in a pretty populated area, and 2-3 years ago i'd have to travel far just to hear commercial electronic music. nowadays it's better (sander kleinenberg :oops: just played locally), but forget it for underground stuff.

there are a couple clubs that play decent deep house, and one that hosts a biweekly or monthly mnml night (that i haven't gotten to check out yet), but the people who like electronic music here (a huge minority) still think electro is king. and lots of those places try to sneak in top 40 and hip hop with their electro nights. terrible.

p.s. LA has a good scene, but it's just far enough away for me to be difficult to get to. the 4am-5am drive home always puts a damper on my night.
sheeeeeit mate, maybe we have got it good here in the UK.
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

steevio wrote:
NewSc2 wrote:
tone-def wrote:
steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:

sheeeeeit mate, maybe we have got it good here in the UK.
meh i know. it's not like i live in redneck usa. 3 million people live in my county, disneyland is about 15 minutes away from me, i live about 10 minutes from the pacific ocean... hyundai usa and kingston memory headquarters are right down the street from me... :?
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

was it better 5-10 years ago where you live? i know it wasnt here in sweden.. there are more clubs that play techno/house now than ever so i cant really complain.

but you aways want more of course :)