Producing Berghain techno?

- ask away
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

damagedgoods wrote: The biggest problem is over-compression on the master bus, where you really are making a sacrifice of "dynamic range for the sake of overall loudness". Everything starts turning to sh!t pretty quickly no matter whether you're dealing with EDM or a rock band. The first thing to disappear is the impact of the kick when it drops back in after a break - feels like someone's pushing you with a pillow instead of kicking you in the chest.
Yes I think there is a misunderstanding. There is compression used as a track effect which is used for sound sculpting and mix engineering and then there is mastering compression which is being abused and has started the whole "Loudness war" debate.

Compression is just another useful mixing and sound design tool when used right.
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud without any music or if you don't push on the Dolby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
I'm trying since 2 days too reproduce this feel with Logic and without hardware. Anyone has some tips to give me ?
I have tried it with Microtonic and with a bunch of distortions but it's not that.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

tintin2085 wrote:I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud or if you don't push on the DOlby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
I'm trying since 2 days too reproduce this feel with Logic and without hardware. Anyone has some tips to give me ?
I have tried it with Microtonic and with a bunch of distortions but it's not that.
If you want hardware noise, sample it from hardware. Record some vinyl crackle. Record some tape hiss. Record some mixer noise. Delay it, filter it, sidechain it, whatever. You can be sure that the Maurizio stuff isn't ITB and all done with Logic.

Dehnert has a pretty clean sound, all told...
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

tintin2085 wrote:I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud without any music or if you don't push on the Dolby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
are you talking about the actual vinyl crackle or some background noise, like from the beginning of pink floyd's 'welcome to the machine'
slenderfall
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by slenderfall »

Only joined the other day and wow this thread is perfect - thanks :)
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

NewSc2 wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud without any music or if you don't push on the Dolby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
are you talking about the actual vinyl crackle or some background noise, like from the beginning of pink floyd's 'welcome to the machine'
No vinyl crackle but yes like Welcome to the machine and exactly like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_Z15EEPdI :lol:
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

tintin2085 wrote:
NewSc2 wrote:
No vinyl crackle but yes like Welcome to the machine and exactly like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_Z15EEPdI :lol:
That's just equipment noise. Turn up a mixer with nothing connected, amplify 50 dB or so, record, filter to taste.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

damagedgoods wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud or if you don't push on the DOlby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
If you want hardware noise, sample it from hardware. Record some vinyl crackle. Record some tape hiss. Record some mixer noise. Delay it, filter it, sidechain it, whatever. You can be sure that the Maurizio stuff isn't ITB and all done with Logic.

Dehnert has a pretty clean sound, all told...
agree re: denhert - it is actually a clean but agressive sound, there ain't much tape hiss or otherwise - his chords are pretty clean as well, sounds like soft synth - perhaps even a tweaked absynth preset ?

(I like denhert btw so hopefully that won't offend - it's just quite a recogniseable chord he often uses and one I've cameacross when I tried absynth out once - think 2562 might have used it in the past also)

Are you sure about the maurizio records being done in logic tho ? I doubt that, I'm reasonably sure those records were done on hardware, altho u could be correct - the channels then being recorded into logic.

Most of those tracks were dubbed tho, so I dunno what would be the point in chucking it into logic other than prepping the master, there were no post edits or any clever arrangements in those tracks, it's all about the work on the desk if you ask me (and more importantly - if you ask von oswald, it's about the only thing I've ever heard him confirm).

Might be mis-understanding you tho - what do you mean by ITB ?