Setting up a Soundsystem

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Setting up a Soundsystem

Post by Opuswerk »

I've been somehow brought into being in charge of the sound-system of a new club in town.

The "club" per se isn't really a club, more a space where techno parties will happen once a month. For their première, they are renting the soundsystem. From my knowledge, i suggested we get a small Funktion one system. The budget not being such an issue, they agreed, and we are renting 4 Funktion One Resolution 2 and 4 Funktion one sub 218. Those of course come with their amplificators. At first i thought of plugging the dj mixer directly in the amps. However a second thought, and some quick chi-chat with some sound guys lead me to believe i'd be much better off plugging every thing to a small mixing desk first. Is this a better solution, seeing as the speakers and amp aren't insured, and djs might go overboard :( .... Should there also be a limiter in the signal chain somehow? Could someone describe me the "best" signal chain?

Would love to know some more about that, so everything can go smoothly that night, and we can make a few others, as Geneva is seriously lacking any quality venues at the moment.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I have some experience with soundsystems as a good friend runs one. He runs the dj mixer into a 16 channel mixer and then into a limiter and finally the amps. He might have an eq in there somewhere too. But, running a limiter is a must dude.

Also, make sure to tell the dj's where to keep the levels. If they can't keep the levels steady during a set, they shouldn't be dj'ing.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Phase Ghost wrote: Also, make sure to tell the dj's where to keep the levels. If they can't keep the levels steady during a set, they shouldn't be dj'ing.
I'm a firm believer of the latter too, but it seems that some of the people playing that night aren't that steady at watching the levels... will have to get a mixing desk and a limiter it seems.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk