Having difficulties for building drum sequences

- ask away
verdisQUO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by verdisQUO »

PBLondon wrote:Hi there,

I think you've been getting some good advice on here. Reading up on drum patterns/sequences and analysing your favourite tracks drum patterns is a good first step. I do feel however that after a while you are going to hit that glass ceiling where you feel you have drained those resources to the point that they do not benefit you any more.

I think the best way to learn is hands on guidance from an experienced professional with music industry experience. Not only will you solve your problem, you might even elborate on what you've learnt to create something original and out of the box.
Have you ever thought about doing a music production course of some kind?
From personal experience it gives you a much needed foundation for you to grow creatively.

Courses run by Point Blank are taught but Industry Professionals who have produced and worked for respected companies such as Defected and Cr2 Records.

Our online courses places your productions at the centre of learning with our Direct Video Response (DVR) system. This means you get your productions analysed by our industry professional tutors with them recording any edits, advice and feedback on video for you to watch and learn.

A high percentage of our students go on to have success in their chosen fields ranging from A&R and Remixing to DJs. Have a look at some of our previous students: http://www.pointblanklondon.com/about_p ... udents.php

Have a look at our website: www.pointblankonline.net. I would like to hear what you think of our courses.

I'm just showing you another alternative to those that have been suggested in improving your drum patterns and your productions in general. I'm sure once you have a look at our website you will realise how beneficial our services can be.

Anyway i wish you all the best in your music production!!

After clicking the link..

Code: Select all

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Unknown MySQL server host 'DBHOST' (1) in /storage/home/pointblankftp/pointblankonline2009/include/functions.php on line 4
Failed database connection
FYI
PBLondon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by PBLondon »

@verdisQUO

Thank you very much for telling me about the link. I'm not quite sure what happened there.
Please feel free to take a look at the links again. They are defiantely working!

http://www.pointblankonline.net/
http://www.pointblanklondon.com/about_p ... udents.php
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

oblioblioblio wrote:
AK wrote:Probably totally unrelated but i thought i'd mention it anyway. In Worcester UK, there are two guys who have built what can be described as a 'dual drum kit' out of two plastic oil drums ( for the bass drums ) and the other guy has a set of percussive instruments ranging from a builders hard hat to a plant pot ( can't remember what else )

They are attatched on what appears to be two bbq frameworks and use some man made beaters to play them.

Gotta say, they are very good indeed, some really cool tribal and polyrhythms going on, and unbeknown to most, the 'drums' are tonally set. Ie: like your average toms might be. Awesome street music.
i played in a weird long jam session with a big group of people once.

one of the guys was playing on home made drums and random household bits and pieces. it was really effective and musically interesting.

i think the jam session was pretty dirgey but a good way to spend a day. in a stroke of luck we were playing in an empty cafe above a big Carphone Warehouse during saturday peak trading hours. I've never had so much fun making disturbing sub bass in my life.
Sounds like fun. I must say I'd have to try out some of these self made drums myself sometime. If I had the time I'd probably try and build something. If you could record it well, it could be a unique set of drum sounds.

I'm all for 'found' sounds too, only I haven't found any yet! :lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote:
Sounds like fun. I must say I'd have to try out some of these self made drums myself sometime. If I had the time I'd probably try and build something. If you could record it well, it could be a unique set of drum sounds.

I'm all for 'found' sounds too, only I haven't found any yet! :lol:
yeah it was ok! i find it nice to do that sometimes. to cut loose from 'producing' a bit. i played with some friends in an improv kinda band for a while and sometimes it was really good but it was also a big struggle sometimes.

haven't done it for a while though. modular has kinda gripped me by the balls and I definitely don't feel any need to get away from it.

found sounds with drums was really cool. I remember one particular moment where this group droning sound was getting really boring, and I though the only way out was just to stop it, but using a a violin kinda string (I think?) on a bin lid suddely brought clarity or something to the whole mess.

For me I'd rather push myself hard with synths, but I definitely reckon found sounds can go the distance if you find it creatively exciting to work with them.