To bounce or not to bounce...

- ask away
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

To bounce or not to bounce...

Post by aciduss »

Well i feel like my creative process is in conflict with my workflow... i was wondering how do you guys approach rendering your tracks...

Sometimes i wait until the end of my production process but then having all this midi synths automated with lots of fx make my cpu run slow.

The thing is i don't have a bouncing stage in my current workflow because i fear it will limit my project's flexibility but then i remember many peers out there produce just recording synths and drum machines and then arrange the loops, makes me wonder.

So any light you could throw in here will be appreciated.

Andy.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

I always get stuck at this! I think 'well i might want to automate that later'
Subs and other stuff that run through the track relatively constant i bounce, sometimes hat loops too. I try to bounce stuff dry and put effects on inserts/sends on the bounced audio rather than thru the instrument.
U can always freeze certain tracks to save cpu untill you know whats happening / being automated etc.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think there is something in the analogue method.

get something prepared. record it live. if it's really good record a couple of takes..

it's easy to get stuck in arrangements. for me it's dangerous to get too far into that.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I always record live then cut it up and arrange that way.
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

Have you tried freezing / unfreezing tracks? I always bounce heavy fx'ed parts, and i always save a midi instance too, so i can get back to it if things get fucked up.
bam
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i program the midi > record the machines > edit

i keep the midi around if i have to rerecord something. bouncing stuff to audio will give you a different kind of flexibility.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Im always thinking, what will have a main roll and what wont in the project.
Drums for exemple, never get rendered until im at least helf way of not finish with the project (i do a lot of fine tune in my drums lately).
If you use a sub bass, you wont be automating that. but i always keep a backup in case i wanna go back.
I actually found that when i decide that i dont like a loop that i already bounced, i just start plugin noodeling.
echo with feedback->gate->pitched delay short feedback->saturation->eq->compress,
only with the first two you already got a brand new loop. audio can be lot of fun.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Presume you are talking about MIDI tracks in software? As hardware MIDI takes up virtually nothing as far as CPU is concerned.

Just save the MIDI version of the track and then do whatever, you can always refer back to this if you need to tweak or whatever.