mystify 909 jacking groove

- ask away
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

steevio wrote:
Rookas wrote:really?:))))
youre wrong. there are parts avalaivable and there was a 909 diy kit for a long time now ..
have you had a broken 909 and tried to get the parts to fix it ?

well i have, and you're wrong. the most important chips like the main processor are impossible to buy.

whats this 909 DIY kit ? an entire actual Roland 909 in kit form ?
i dont think so

links please

there are plenty of attempts at replicas, i have several 909 modules in my modular and none of them sound exactly like the real thing.
http://www.mulletronic.com/diy/mr9090/
which is based on this: http://www.introspectiv.eclipse.co.uk/
the sounds are pretty much identical, but i imagine the sequencer won't be fully true to the original
beam me up
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

::BLM:: wrote:Yeah me too. I have just got the Prophet, now all I need is a nice drum machine and mixing desk and I'll be sorted.

I think I'm about to buy the Zed16. I'll be using the firewire though, and I'm sure I read that if you use that is bypasses the analogue bit of the desk and that they are mixed in digital!?
Not at all. All your inputs on the Zed r16 go thru the preamps to the converters first, pre-insert, pre-fader. You can engage an option to record post-insert, or post-EQ... giving you loads of options how analog you want your stems to be.

All stems are also constantly summed at your 17/18 stereo 2mix which you can recording constantly as well.

With the Logic take tool this makes overdubbing both stems and a master raw mix a breeze and I often will simply jam and decide I like the first one best and be done.

There is also a midi switch which will take your fader level to unity and allow you to use the fader on said channel as midi fader without changing volume.

There is also a post EQ digital return in case you recorded your stems already EQ'ed and simply want to sum.

It really is a dream of a mixer... there is nothing like it made by anyone else currently. It is ultra well thought out.

Get this.. there is even a workaround involving duplicating your tracks if you want to loopback record every stem thru the EQ to archive certain settings.

I use the Zed R16 everyday and have barely scratched the surface of how much it kicks ass.

Sorry to the OP for the OT.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

boomstick wrote:
steevio wrote:
Rookas wrote:really?:))))
youre wrong. there are parts avalaivable and there was a 909 diy kit for a long time now ..
have you had a broken 909 and tried to get the parts to fix it ?

well i have, and you're wrong. the most important chips like the main processor are impossible to buy.

whats this 909 DIY kit ? an entire actual Roland 909 in kit form ?
i dont think so

links please

there are plenty of attempts at replicas, i have several 909 modules in my modular and none of them sound exactly like the real thing.
http://www.mulletronic.com/diy/mr9090/
which is based on this: http://www.introspectiv.eclipse.co.uk/
the sounds are pretty much identical, but i imagine the sequencer won't be fully true to the original
the thing is bro, over the years there have been lots of replica attempts at all the old classics, and they get as close as they can but in the end they are still not the real thing.
i have various Analogue Solutions Roland replica drum modules, and they are the exact same circuits used in the TR909 / TR808 (with a few additional features) and when you listen to them individually you'd swear they sound exactly like the real thing, until you actually do A/B tests with a real roland drum machine, and then they sound absolutely nothing like the real thing. they have a 'similar' sound, but actually everything about them is different, the timbre, the presence, the EQ, everything.
they are very valiant attempts, but if you want that sound you are better off with samples believe me.
the sequencer is another thing altogether, how could you possibly emulate that Roland wobble without using the original components ?
its not diffcult to build a sequnecer that does the same things, but to get it to be a TR909 is impossible.
the guys who build these replicas are very clever and i admire their efforts but i kind of wonder what is the point really, there's still some real 909s out there at prices only slightly higher than what i paid for mine back in the early 1990s, infact when mine broke last year, there was an old house producer from chicago selling a mint one for £1000, ok to some of you guys that is a lot of money for a drum machine, but for a piece of history that will never devalue, and will give you that 100% authentic sound and feel ?
if youre not bothered about that absolute authenticity then you'd be crazy to spend that money.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

@ steevio, how much are these analog solution replicas? I'd love a real tr808 but they change hands for silly money these days, what are the hardware alternatives with on-board sequencers?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:@ steevio, how much are these analog solution replicas? I'd love a real tr808 but they change hands for silly money these days, what are the hardware alternatives with on-board sequencers?
check out the site bro;

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/

for the hardware alternatives with on-board sequencers, i dont know, you'll have to google it.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

You could try a Vermona DRM-1 MK-iii. Goes for around 550 - 600 euro's for a new unit if you buy it in Europe (not much for a 100% analog drum synth). The MK-iii has a kick channel that's capable of producing snappy, almost tr808 like ones or the tr909 like kicks. The clap and drum channels are very solid too. Too bad it hasn't got a sequencer, but you can control it with midi out.

Playing around for a while now with this machine and it really gives a lively sound. If you sample different hits from one of the channels you'll see every hit is slightly different. That'll help you alot with creating more lively grooves.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Rein wrote:You could try a Vermona DRM-1 MK-iii. Goes for around 550 - 600 euro's for a new unit if you buy it in Europe (not much for a 100% analog drum synth). The MK-iii has a kick channel that's capable of producing snappy, almost tr808 like ones or the tr909 like kicks. The clap and drum channels are very solid too. Too bad it hasn't got a sequencer, but you can control it with midi out.

Playing around for a while now with this machine and it really gives a lively sound. If you sample different hits from one of the channels you'll see every hit is slightly different. That'll help you alot with creating more lively grooves.
that will give you better drum sounds but it wont help with the groove. i wouldn't compare it to Roland drum machines either as it's a totally different beast.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

been looking at the jomox xbase 888 and 999 and im seriously tempted to get one, really like the audio demos. Id get the airbase 99 but i like onboard sequencing in drum machines, esp tr type programming. No idea how musical the sequencer is but i think i want one.

Looked at the vermona but again the lack of sequencer puts me off, as does the no patch/kit recall. I like the idea of powering up and firing out a rhythm not creating my drum sounds first. Wouldnt get a machine drum as i dont like the sound and character of it.