Ableton External Effect & SPDIF (+ Lexicon MPX opinions)

- ask away
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Ableton External Effect & SPDIF (+ Lexicon MPX opinions)

Post by Phurniture »

I'm thinking of getting something along the lines of a Lexicon MPX-1 or MPX-500 (they're pretty cheap nowadays). I'm wondering if I can use the SPDIF connections on these machines and use their effects in Ableton via the External Effect plug-in and have very low latency and high quality without a big hit on the CPU? Is this a reasonable thought?

Also, would I be able to plug, let's say, a hardware synth into the MPX via the analog ins and then interface with Ableton via SPDIF? I think I read somewhere that the analog and digital connections on the MPX can't be used at the same time, making that a no-go. Can anyone confirm this?

Finally, any opinions on the MPX-1 vs 500/550? I've seen MPX-1s for $200 and currently a 500 in my area for $100! Sounds like a deal. But if the MPX-1 is way better, I'd hold out. Cheers.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

Hi, i cannot comment on the Lexicon, but the T.C. M300 is very similar and can do all of what you asked for....
moveable parts
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Ableton External Effect & SPDIF (+ Lexicon MPX opini

Post by moveable parts »

Phurniture wrote:I'm thinking of getting something along the lines of a Lexicon MPX-1 or MPX-500 (they're pretty cheap nowadays). I'm wondering if I can use the SPDIF connections on these machines and use their effects in Ableton via the External Effect plug-in and have very low latency and high quality without a big hit on the CPU? Is this a reasonable thought?

Also, would I be able to plug, let's say, a hardware synth into the MPX via the analog ins and then interface with Ableton via SPDIF? I think I read somewhere that the analog and digital connections on the MPX can't be used at the same time, making that a no-go. Can anyone confirm this?

Finally, any opinions on the MPX-1 vs 500/550? I've seen MPX-1s for $200 and currently a 500 in my area for $100! Sounds like a deal. But if the MPX-1 is way better, I'd hold out. Cheers.
I can't comment on the Lexi Mpx-1 or the 500 units as I have only Lexi I ever a used a Vortex. I bought it from this guy named Tommi in the T-dot, sometime round 1999 or 2000. If i were you I would just hold out for a ensoniq dp-2 or 4 or 4+ They Sound awesome, Nice routing abilities parallel or serial and about the same price. I'm gonna midi it up soon and see , whats what.
Take Care
; )
d.
The beat is like a river....it must flow.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Yeah, yeah, whatever buddy. ;)