(CURLE-P04) Walt J incl. DJ QU remix

- wax
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

(CURLE-P04) Walt J incl. DJ QU remix

Post by fader »

We keep the Curle-P subdivision for rare licenses of forgotten pearls from the past, with a new remix on the flip. The last one we did was Thomas Brinkmann's 'Isch' including the Soulphiction remix, one of the essential records of 2009, also according to Pitchfork.
This time we picked Walt J's 'Reborn', originally on Detroit label Dow in 1997 and featured by Mr. Juan Atkins on his legendary MasterMix.
For the remix we asked one of our current favorites, DJ Qu from New Jersey. Label owner of Strength Music and part of the new New York house movement together with people like Jus-Ed, Fred P and Levon Vincent.
As a little bonus we added the original B-side also to this vinyl, because it was too good to be left aside. And because you probably won't be able to find the original pressing anymore.

Listen: http://soundcloud.com/curlerec/sets/curle-p04

Try to get yourself one of the 300 limited see-through vinyls!
http://www.phonicarecords.com/product/view/65475
http://www.decks.de/t/walt_j-reborn/bw1-1z

This release is also available digitally through beatport: https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/con ... 20Remix%29

Some of the feedback we received:
Deetron: Very good pick Tom, love the original :-) But that Qu remix is absolutely great, what a drive, really adds that little something to the original!!
Sascha Dive (Deep Vibes): I play the Original since so many Years. Dow Records. Great RE-Release and Cool DJ QU Remix. Please send me Vinyl!
Patrice Scott (Sistrum): Nice tracks. Really feelin the excellent DJ QU remix. I played this in Japan and they damn near tore the place down!!!
Keith Worthy: Another excellent release from Curle!! .. thanks for sending ... Keep Bangin! Keith
Steffi (Panoramabar): nice one!!! great oldie with a killer new remix! bring it on!
Martyn: i'm very happy with this new release because the walt j is 1of my fav Detroit tracks!
Fred P (Black Jazz Consortium): Nice, all the mixes are top notch, nice to hear the deepness...
Matt O'Brien: Massive release! Love the original of course and DJ Qu's remix is also sublime.
Giles Smith (Two Armadillos): On a roll at the mo Qu! the Walt J remix is off the hook, bangin and deeep!
Lerato Khathi (Uzuri): big ups qu ! excellent work as usual !!!!
Raresh: wow . lovely ep !
Jus-Ed: dopeness!!!
Roman Flügel: Excellent! Will play.
Gregor Tresher: wow, excellent remix, I like it a lot!
Jonas Kopp: Dj qu's remix is amazing , I'll chart it on August!
Lucy (Stroboscopic Artefacts): As always, top release from Curle. Reborn 1 original is my pick of the bunch. Thanks.
Franklin De Costa: great! the original remastered plus a very cool dj qu remix. full support.
Ryan Elliott (Spectral Sound): Really like the whole EP, Qu mix is my fave. Thanks for the music!
Pär Grindvik: ohh truly an all time favorite of mine! the rework is sweet as well! thanks for reminding!
Brothers' Vibe: Sweet sound - Solid package!
Zander VT: Great to unearth one of Dow's gems. The Qu remix is quality as always. Nice one. Sven.
Anthony Collins: qu remix is ace
Dan Curtin: This release is pretty hot. Reborn 1 is the one for me but Reborn 2 is cool too. Full support
Efdemin: all in all very interesting ep with a great QU mix.
Ken Ishii: Really cool. Reborn 1 sounds unique and raw.
Lerosa: thanks for repressing this absolute gem

RA review: 4/5 (http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=7818)
When thinking about house and techno, we tend to compartmentalize: House gets the smooth, warm and deep stuff, and techno gets everything hard and dark. Perhaps now more than ever, dance music acolytes these days understand the intrinsic power of both impulses. Could there be a better moment for them to join hands?
Belgium's Curle Recordings found precedent for such line-blurring in Walt J's Fingers Inc.-sampling "Reborn," which first appeared on Detroit's Dow Records in 1997 and is now back on a highly limited, clear-vinyl run. On the one hand, Walter Jones composed a fiercely punchy and wildly percussive five-and-a-half minutes of techno that would have no problem keeping pace with anything Jeff Mills could throw at the floor. But laid-back synth pads, floating in halftime over all this breakneck banging, and an indelibly funky low-end lend the track a vibe more curiously chilled-out than its constituent parts might suggest.
DJ Qu, whose deep house seems to grow more sinister with every release, has undeniably had a hand in making the time ripe for such a (re)marriage. His Journey Towards Birth remix of "Reborn" both updates Walt J's production technique and refines its moody complexity, helping to make this package one of the most widely relevant—and wholly enjoyable—releases around at the moment.
Creditcard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Creditcard »

ace re-release
and powerful dj qu
cant wait to play it...
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

lovin this .. immediatelly ordered :D