Playing Piano

- ask away
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Playing Piano

Post by jackbrazzo »

Guys

I fancy having a bash learning piano. I play guitar well i have for a number of years but i want to try a new instrument.

I basically want it for 2 reasons. One for playing Coldplay stuff and having a laugh and another use playing along maybe to House Records.

300-400 to play with - whats my best option. Someone suggested the KORG MS2000B

Cheers
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

i basically want a synth and a piano in one if you see what I mean!

microkorg?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

get a rompler.

I've been playing piano for over 20 years now,
and I only rolled into synths by accident.
first out of frustration when I was 16 and fed up with Bach.
then a 2nd time when I bought my roland XV88 about 10 years ago.
(when I really got hooked)

if you want to play piano, you need hammerweighted action,
and preferably 88 keys.
you could do with semi-weighted, but if you really want to learn some proper technique (playing skills), then you gotta take hammerweighted action.
I've got all three (hammerweighted, semi-weighted and synth-action keys) over here, and each have their own purposes, but I'll always prefer hammerweighted)

but that's just the keyboard-part.

if you want a proper piano sound, you gotta look into a high-end rompler.
synths simply don't do piano's well, you need something sample-based.

any roland or yamaha or korg rompler of the last 10 years or so will probably do fine.
but if you want my personal tip : look into a Kurzweil : nothing beats Kurzweil when it comes to real instruments (strings, brass, keys,...)
plus Kurzweil has a MASSIVE synth engine.
even older models like a K2500 have about 20 filter types, tons of different LFO-shapes,...)
and there are thousands of free sounds to be found on the web.

but for 400 you'll never get anywhere in my opinion.
double the amount and you can find a real beauty of a synth that will give you many many years of fun.
I still use my XV88 every day, even though there's ten other hardware and lots of good software here too.

btw, forget an MS2000, who the hell gave you such a silly answer ?
not a silly synth, mind you, but why suggest such a synth for playing piano :?:
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

cool ok. thanks for the advice.
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Hades wrote: if you want to play piano, you need hammerweighted action,
and preferably 88 keys.
you could do with semi-weighted, but if you really want to learn some proper technique (playing skills), then you gotta take hammerweighted action.
I've got all three (hammerweighted, semi-weighted and synth-action keys) over here, and each have their own purposes, but I'll always prefer hammerweighted)
This is important (the 88 weighted keys part). I bought a Yamaha P140 at Guitar Center a couple years ago, for around $750 incl. tax. It was a step up from the cheapest Yamaha, but as a beginner I don't think you would notice the difference. I don't really think the sound matters much either, as some old upright pianos are pretty terrible.

Lots of piano songs require you to reach past 61 keys. 76 keys should do, but not too many of those are truly weighted. I think you'll be able to find a Casio or Yamaha digital piano or something used for about $300-400. New they go for around $500.

Classical pianist here, similar to Hades I guess but I was playing Chopin into my late teens. And in college, to get the girls ;)
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

NewSc2 wrote:

Classical pianist here, similar to Hades I guess but I was playing Chopin into my late teens. And in college, to get the girls ;)
oh, I was too and still am.
that was exactly my frustration.
I'm a BIG Chopin lover, but over here the classical music schools always give you Bach at least 70% of the times.

(ever saw Dexter ? , I got sooo pissed when the FBI guy told Dexter's sister to listen to "Shooowpin", you fucking idiot, you wanna pretend you like classical music and you can't even pronounce his name properly, ugh ! (-) )

I still play piano to this day, and actually way better than I ever played it when I took all the lessons.
I love playing Chopins Nocturnes.
And my XV88 has the middle section of its keyboard (C1 to C5) well overplayed (I guess however well its built, it's not made for practising Hanon on it on a daily basis)

btw, when I was 15, I was always jealous at the guys who played guitar.
They could take their instrument with them wherever they went (impressing girls along the way, even though they usually sucked so hard at playing guitar)
Nowadays I'm sooooo happy I chose the piano when I was little.
I mean, if I see other synth-guys having trouble playing in the simplest parts on their controllers, that really puts a smile on my face.
Plus the guitar-hero guys only have one sound + FX. (unless they've made the plunge into electronical stuff as well)
For us guys, the sky's the limit. :P

btw, to the original poster :
must you play Coldplay ?
I mean, really ? :|
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

If you have the space you could probably get a real piano for free.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

boudo wrote:If you have the space you could probably get a real piano for free.
Yeah. Plenty of people out there giving Piano's away. I'm going to get one very soon.