modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:if you want fat bass, use a fat oscillator.
bang on,
phat VCO and warm slightly dirty VCF really.

ive got the RS95e, its fat, and so is the MFB Osc 2 for bass.

the Tiptop Z2040 filter is the bollox for bass and just about everything else

phat bass is just about the easiest thing to get with a modular
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

yeah, i would like the macbeth stuff and hopefully one day i could afford both the osc and the filter.

i've used the analogue systems oscillators and they are very nice. i wasn't blown away by their filters so i'll have a look at the tiptop and i've read a lot of good things about cwejman filters.

to be honest i'm not looking for a way to get rid of the computer. the computer is working just fine for me, it inspirers me and i enjoy it. i'm not saying that a modular system wouldn't but i just want to take things one step at a time and get into it at my own pace. for now, i just want a high quality analogue synth/sound processor that i can customize to my liking and send midi note and clock data from the computer. my experience of using MIDI to CV converters has been very good. i could end up without a computer, who knows? but i have to experience a computer with modular setup first. i also want to record stuff with microphones and use samplers. computers are really good for that side of things so losing it probably wouldn't give me the results i'm after.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

This is where I am atm , I really like the makenoise modules they seem to be very popular. I'm definitely going to include MATHS in my first batch of purchases. The rene looks like a fun sequencer when is it going to be available? As far as oscillators go how do you rate the Z3000? I would love a macbeth but sh!t its expensive. I really like the cjewman and wiard/malekko modules as well, I'm thinking about getting an ADSR-VC2 as my main eg and tossing up between a VCO-6, Anti Oscillator or RS85E as my second VCO. Borg filter, Noisering and Bubblesound uLFO look nice as well. But I'm only a couple days in and still have plenty to research. I would like to only use my computer as a tape recorder but one thing at a time. So I'm going to get an analog sequencer, thinking the a-155. I would like to sync my 808 and other gear to the eurorack as well..what do you think? any ideas?
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

muffwiggler is a serious resource.

not eveyone there is doing techno, but a large part of all recorded knowledge in the eurorack (and beyond) scene is contained on that site.

System design is pretty wierd, personal and definitely not an exact science.

I made and unmade a million decisions.

Buying modules in batches is a great suggestion. You gotta start slowly in terms of learning how to use stuff, and you need to account for the fact you might change your mind about things based on your experiences. There's lots of great modules out there, but it's how you put it together that is most important. How all the modules interact to make a full music machine.

I'm pretty much happy with where i'm at with my system now. Mainly Wiard / Malekko modules. Grant Richter is my hero. Also some Metasonix stuff (they are tricky and quite hostile but not as crazy as they're marketed as).

Macbeth was simply too big for me. :)

Kinda feels like discovering a new vault of Alien technology. (well, that's becuase that's what it is)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
to be honest i'm not looking for a way to get rid of the computer.
i only said that in jest bro, when i started i had no intention of blowing out my computer, i had it all planned, midi/CV convertor etc. and i worked that way for a few months. but it just ended up getting in the way and i used it less and less till it just logically fell away.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

goomba wrote:This is where I am atm , I really like the makenoise modules they seem to be very popular. I'm definitely going to include MATHS in my first batch of purchases. The rene looks like a fun sequencer when is it going to be available? As far as oscillators go how do you rate the Z3000? I would love a macbeth but sh!t its expensive. I really like the cjewman and wiard/malekko modules as well, I'm thinking about getting an ADSR-VC2 as my main eg and tossing up between a VCO-6, Anti Oscillator or RS85E as my second VCO. Borg filter, Noisering and Bubblesound uLFO look nice as well. But I'm only a couple days in and still have plenty to research. I would like to only use my computer as a tape recorder but one thing at a time. So I'm going to get an analog sequencer, thinking the a-155. I would like to sync my 808 and other gear to the eurorack as well..what do you think? any ideas?
the Z3000 is a great VCO, one of my favourites. FM is awesome on it.

the A155 is an ordinary sequencer till you add the A154, then it becomes an absolute beast. its a must have combo.

ive just bought another A154 to go with my second A155.

if you want to make house or techno or anything else for that matter this pair of machines is the bollox.
if you can afford 2 of each and you've got space you'll never need anything else for sequencing (including the computer) ever again.

if i was making more experimental stuff i could probably get away without the A155/154, but it would still do loads of different jobs.
you've got to forget your standard idea of sequnecing and just use them as 'other modules'
this is the thing that is so hard to explain to anyone embarking on modular. everyone comes at it with the formula of how to make techno and use synths in their heads (including myself) you'll move on really quickly.
Last edited by steevio on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:if you want fat bass, use a fat oscillator.
bang on,
phat VCO and warm slightly dirty VCF really.
I haven't been using any filters like that. Most of my filters are vactrol based (rather than warm possibly distorted transistor based). They have a different kind of warmth. They can get dirty but only if you crank up the resonance. I really like them.

The Wiard Boogie is really interesting. Having a super clean Moog style filter has lots of possiblities and a very different vibe to transistor designs.

Which leads me to the next thing I wanna say. One of the most interesting things about some of these modules, is that they have really changed the way I think about space and reverb. The Buchla Low Pass Gate (eg makenoise QMMG or Wiard Borg) simulates the roll off of a sound receding into the distance ,and as such you can make sounds that are naturally very spacey, rather than using the quite artificial idea of reverb. The sound itself is the space. Vacuum tubes are also great for this.

Also there's some great stuff with panning available. For example the Wiard Oscillator has a phase modulation output, so you can build a stereo patch straight from the oscillator!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote: One of the most interesting things about some of these modules, is that they have really changed the way I think about space and reverb. The Buchla Low Pass Gate (eg makenoise QMMG or Wiard Borg) simulates the roll off of a sound receding into the distance ,and as such you can make sounds that are naturally very spacey, rather than using the quite artificial idea of reverb. The sound itself is the space. Vacuum tubes are also great for this.
again bang on.

effectively you're smothering the possibilities within the sounds themselves by plastering reverb and effects all over them. much more exciting and interesting (and holistic) to use the tails of your sounds to create the atmosphere and space in the tune. it really crispens up the soundscape and makes you listen.
Last edited by steevio on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.