New Synth? ( Hardware )

- ask away
fornogoodreason
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fornogoodreason »

ok im definitely not telling them that...
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

fornogoodreason wrote:think im getting a korg

what would you say is a reasonable price for one anyone...?
... a korg, what? What model?
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

Hi guys, i'm just about to purchase my first hardware synth, a roland sh101, is there anything I should know beforehand? Steevio I know you have at least one, any recommendations?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarkA wrote:Hi guys, i'm just about to purchase my first hardware synth, a roland sh101, is there anything I should know beforehand? Steevio I know you have at least one, any recommendations?
only that you will need a midi/CV converter to use it with software, but there are also software options which utilize your soundcard
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html

make sure all the sliders work without noises or dead spots, replacements are hard to get a hold of now.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

Thanks man, i've looked at the kenton ones? They're not a million miles from me so shouldn't be too hard. Sliders are fine apparently, in good nick by all accounts, looking forward to get playing!
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

Couple comments:

The Virus is still relevant. I like the sounds I get from it, plus, its more hands on than most soft synths.

The P08 is an excellent synth. Just takes a little getting to know it. The haters probably didn't spend the time. To compensate for its lack of bass, and because I also play bass in like, a band band, I got the new Taurus, which is deeeep.

Never really got the whole vco vs dco thing. THey both sound good, if you use them right.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

MarkA wrote:Hi guys, i'm just about to purchase my first hardware synth, a roland sh101, is there anything I should know beforehand? Steevio I know you have at least one, any recommendations?
I have a recommendation - don't be a dumbass like me and sell it after you got one:) there is a website that sells SH101 parts

http://www.technologytransplant.biz/index.php