Any tips to get a really distorted sound?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i don't think there are any software distortions that sound like hardware ones. Pedals etc etc.

I think some people have done good stuff with putting sound thru amps and micing them up and rerecording. Too much work for me.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

wooly mammoth :D
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

if its only the distortion you're after, then theres plenty of plugins out there for that purpose.

if you want to produce music that actually sounds like that old downwards records all the way, you better buy an old rack sampler and make that the centerpiece of your studio. this raw sound does not come from simply runnig stuff through a distortion, its the result of all the imperfections of those old machines - mainly the way they timestretch loops...
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

this one is quite cheap like 40euros or something and it sounds so nice on drums
DeeperDub
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DeeperDub »

s.k. wrote:if its only the distortion you're after, then theres plenty of plugins out there for that purpose.

if you want to produce music that actually sounds like that old downwards records all the way, you better buy an old rack sampler and make that the centerpiece of your studio. this raw sound does not come from simply runnig stuff through a distortion, its the result of all the imperfections of those old machines - mainly the way they timestretch loops...
well, i really love that old downwards stuff, but i'm not trying to re-produce it... but i want to give my tracks a deeper, darker and dirtier feel...

when it comes to plug-ins i often use a of the "variety of sound" stuff...
and i like it, but i'm not getting that sound that i imaging...

a sampler is not really an option, 'cause i mainly make music for myself
and i really like to work with my DAW - i don't want to get to much into hardware...

to get more organic, analoge sounding samples i sometimes
put the stuff that i want to use to an old grundig reel to reel tapemachine and then back in my DAW - but as i said i'm not really satisfied with
the results...

if you like check some of my work on soundcloud...
so you got an impression what i'm doing

http://soundcloud.com/bmus
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

distortion? thermionic culture - culture vulture!

nuff said.
techno made me do it
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

At a guess, overdriven mixer channels would be a good start for the older Downwards stuff.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de