Elektron - OCTATRACK ?

- ask away
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

coldfuture wrote:
TechnoMusic wrote: To be honest I quite like the machinedrum, but it really is still far too expensive for what it is. When I had mine I sampled the hell out of it for a year or so and then sold it. Now this thing I have to say doesn't look in very useful to me, its just an expensive toy that cant really do anything that reason or live can't do at 1/5th the price.
I've said it before, its all about whether or not you mind using a typewriter for music making.
Calling computers typewriters doesn't actually make a convincing argument, and while I admit a nice interface is a great idea and can add to usability (I'm a big fan of NI Maschine for just this reason) a value for money or practicality argument can no longer be made against a computer and in favour of hardware. Software instruments in many cases sound just as good or better than hardware these days, software is massively more portable, configurable and better value.

I do have 3 or 4 old analog synths I have in my collection but they only really get used as sample material these days as I can actually get better and faster results from vsts. I only really hold on to them "For old times sake" In fact since I got my hands on UhE ACE I've not turned on any of my old analog kit at all, ACE just sounds that damn good and with Bazille coming out next year Id definitely invest in a new computer any day rather than any hardware music box.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

TechnoMusic wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:1300 euros is not much for something that you really love using. The Electribes are nice, but nowhere near the quality of Elektron. My Monomachine is perfect for me, 1300 isn't even that much, when you compare what gear used to cost in the 70's and the 80's.
They really saw you coming sucker :)

To be honest I quite like the machinedrum, but it really is still far too expensive for what it is. When I had mine I sampled the hell out of it for a year or so and then sold it. Now this thing I have to say doesn't look in very useful to me, its just an expensive toy that cant really do anything that reason or live can't do at 1/5th the price.

What they should have done is built 2 or 4 tracks of this kind of functionality into the machinedrum (& maybe 1 synth channel) and given the MD a USB interface for sample & program transfer, that would be a killer machine.
I get what you're saying, especially if money is tight, but Elektron gear is all about the user interface. It's just so fast, easy and fun to use. Don't know about others, but the reason I don't use computers (except for multitracking) is simply because using them feels like work, as opposed to a fun leisure time pleasure. And since I only make music for fun, using what is the most fun and creative is the way to go. Elektron gear is especially fun, I simply couldn't live without my Monomachine, even though a modern VST synth will probably sound better.
siddhu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by siddhu »

Even though we have all the NI softs, and all the Ableton instruments, we almost never use them since we picked up the Monomachine, Machinedrum, and the Spectralis.

Dedicated hardware is soooo much more fun to use then software even with midi controllers (most of which feel super cheap).

There's nothing like crashing on the couch with headphones and a drink programming beats on the Machinedrum or Spectralis.

This is not dogma or in anyway meant to say that software does not sound good and/or that you can't make a bangin track ITB, I'm talking about purely the fun factor!

But as always, YMMV! :)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

TechnoMusic wrote:
coldfuture wrote:
TechnoMusic wrote: To be honest I quite like the machinedrum, but it really is still far too expensive for what it is. When I had mine I sampled the hell out of it for a year or so and then sold it. Now this thing I have to say doesn't look in very useful to me, its just an expensive toy that cant really do anything that reason or live can't do at 1/5th the price.
I've said it before, its all about whether or not you mind using a typewriter for music making.
Calling computers typewriters doesn't actually make a convincing argument, and while I admit a nice interface is a great idea and can add to usability (I'm a big fan of NI Maschine for just this reason) a value for money or practicality argument can no longer be made against a computer and in favour of hardware. Software instruments in many cases sound just as good or better than hardware these days, software is massively more portable, configurable and better value.

I do have 3 or 4 old analog synths I have in my collection but they only really get used as sample material these days as I can actually get better and faster results from vsts. I only really hold on to them "For old times sake" In fact since I got my hands on UhE ACE I've not turned on any of my old analog kit at all, ACE just sounds that damn good and with Bazille coming out next year Id definitely invest in a new computer any day rather than any hardware music box.
what analogue synths do you still own?
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

Barfunkel wrote:
I get what you're saying, especially if money is tight, but Elektron gear is all about the user interface. It's just so fast, easy and fun to use. Don't know about others, but the reason I don't use computers (except for multitracking) is simply because using them feels like work, as opposed to a fun leisure time pleasure. And since I only make music for fun, using what is the most fun and creative is the way to go. Elektron gear is especially fun, I simply couldn't live without my Monomachine, even though a modern VST synth will probably sound better.
this is the same experience I have the Korg Electribe gear (soon I'm hoping to move up to Elektron) I think what Ableton can do (along with some VSTs) is quite amazing, but I just don't have fun in the prep work it takes to get a set going; compared to just flipping the Electribe on. And like you, I only make music for fun (when I need to run away from my 4 screaming children)
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

tone-def wrote:what analogue synths do you still own?
Ive got a vintage Gem (which has actually been around a friends house for the last year or so) a Syntecno TeeBee a Waldorf Pulse & a novation bassstation. I used to have a korg MS20 back in the day but I got offered ludicrous money for it one time and really had to sell :)
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog