techno isnt about the past, its about the future

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Torque wrote:You know i think this whole thing has totally lost perspective. Techno has nothing to do with the machines used, or genre or any of that sh!t.

Techno is nothing more than a soundtrack to what you imagine the future looks like. It's not music, it's futurism. If you imagine the future after World War III to be almost completely destroyed by mankind, just make a track from the perspective of one of the last people left that sounds like 2 cans banging together that he found in the rubble. That's Techno...
If you imagine some utopian society in the future with flying cars amke a track that sounds like future cars flying. That's techno....

Techno is a context not a genre.

Maybe the reason why everything is starting to sound that same is because people aren't thinking of the context, they're thinking of a formula. This is why sh!t hasn't moved forward like it once had. I'm getting sick of projects without a concept, that sh!t is lazy. IMO there are very few people left that are actually making "techno" most people are just trying to make dance music with the sounds used in techno music and that might as well be house. Remember...if techno is futurism, you decide what it sounds like as a producer, don't let the future be sucked out with thoughts of making just pure dance music. The future is defined by ideas not sounds.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000.001

This is the best reply to any thread about techno ever. It doesn't matter what the question is, this is the answer.

About 6 months ago I realized this truth all over again and have completely changed directions because I realized I had totally forgotten about my concepts, namely my post-apocalyptic obsessions and my ideas of society surviving nuclear winter.

That day Coldfuture was born, and I started making techno again.

Again: Best. Answer. Ever.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i agree with 99% of what Torque said, but you cannot divorce techno from the machines.
without Kraftwerk, there'd be no techno, wiithout machines there'd be no Kraftwerk.

no matter how you look at the concepts, we are still talking about music, and all music is intimately entwined with the instruments its made on.
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

you know what it is, everyone listened to ben sims rant :)

he smashed up awakenings last saturday..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-74NTbuYsY
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's good to hear everyone's opinions.

one thing i kinda dislike, is the idea of constraints. i mean, i really love the idea of making music about something, a feeling, a concept. whatever. And I like idea of techno being something deeper than just simple music to make people dance (though nothing wrong with that).

But to me, music is a blank canvas for whatever the fck it is we call life (and beyond). Sure, look at techno as being successful for what it is, and if those ideas work for you, then go with them. But I hope that no-one decides to move away from their own personal concept of meaning beucase of what some other guys were thinking.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

but maybe the idea of thinking about the future, is an interesting thing in music. An interesting channel to open.

What is the end goal of all this discussion? I mean, what is the role of a musician? What is the connection between music and the ideas that the musician had? Why do most good musicians eventually turn into sh!t anyway?

Maybe you can't really ever describe how powerful music finds it way into existance. It moves in very mysterious ways.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I don't see how a sound moving on requires 'A big fck you to the past'

I always thought that techno wasn't really about that. I mean you can hear a lot of similarities between 'plinky plonky' stuff and things like Kraftwerk.
Then there was a lot of housey techno becoming popular. Then Dub techno...
Soon we will get back to 'plinky plonky'.

I think that its less of going back, and more renovating...
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Torque wrote:Techno has nothing to do with the machines used
hmmmm ... not so sure about that
Torque wrote: Techno is nothing more than a soundtrack to what you imagine the future looks like. It's not music, it's futurism.
Maybe in the 80s and early 90s when technology seemed futuristic, but now it is very normal. We are in the 21st century - maybe techno can be about the present.
Torque wrote:IMO there are very few people left that are actually making "techno" most people are just trying to make dance music with the sounds used in techno music and that might as well be house.
I think you are right about this, but then house and techno have interacted a lot and being a purist isn't very helpful.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:
It's not music, it's futurism.
maybe not a good idea to be telling the Bellville three they arent musicans.

of course its music bro. come on.

'Techno ! The New Dance Sound of Detroit