Minimal Techno Sample Pack

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i haven't used samples since I first started using electronic machines for music. I grew out of it after about 1 year. My creative growth is way bigger from not using sample packs.

I can only think of a handfull of pieces of outstanding music that used samples, and each of them were crate diggers pulling little bits from other tracks to fit into their own vision.... Ultramarine sampling little folk riffs, Wolfgang Voigt building his Gas project from reworking classical music (and adding a whole massive section of his own work).

I don't see these packs on the same musical level
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Nothing wrong with these packs at all imo. Samples, Modular, Hardware Synths, Vstis etc... For me using everything gives me the best results. I use samples all the time. I challenge you to make a Rhodes sound from your modular system. I suppose it could be said that you are limiting your creativity by not using a hybrid of things no?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:Nothing wrong with these packs at all imo. Samples, Modular, Hardware Synths, Vstis etc... For me using everything gives me the best results. I use samples all the time. I challenge you to make a Rhodes sound from your modular system. I suppose it could be said that you are limiting your creativity by not using a hybrid of things no?
I don't wanna find a rhodes sound, I wanna find my sound.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

That makes no sense at all. :lol: Are you saying by using say a Rhodes keyboard you cant have your own sound?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i can't explain it without going into the whole modular thing again, and we don't need another thread in that direction. :)

Modular is a way for me to express myself in ways that I didn't think were possible. Synthesizers can make any sound that is possible, and more. I want to find my own sound using these machines. To express my own feelings, and my soul, using this machinary.

Sampling does not help my creative process of trying to express myself with music.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I understand. ;) I just find it mad that someone would ditch everything they have spent years working on for just a modular rack. For me it wouldnt work, as I need to use a mixture of everything to complete my vision.
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

I like michaell samples and use them quite alot (not that even he would recognise probably) but its how you use the samples which is the creative part

Sure I would love to go down the modular route but do not have the time or money :cry:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:I understand. ;) I just find it mad that someone would ditch everything they have spent years working on for just a modular rack. For me it wouldnt work, as I need to use a mixture of everything to complete my vision.
i haven't ditched anything. everything I have learned is still with me. I just have a more focussed and inspiring set of tools.

Anyways for me this issue isn't about modular. It's about being in control of your own music, and vision.

Electronic music has a strong tradition of sampling. But sample packs already in a certain style, I don't personally believe it is an avenue worth exploring. Don't mean to beat up on anyone though, just saying my bit and now I'm done.