Chicago synth in Propellerheads Reason.

- ask away
betwing
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Chicago synth in Propellerheads Reason.

Post by betwing »

How to create chicago synth sound in Reason (like Chicago keys preset in Factory Bank vst Sylenth1)?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

could you give another example for the people who don't own Sylenth1. you could always sample the sylenth preset.
betwing
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by betwing »

like this stabs

http://rghost.ru/4114324
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

if you're trying to recreate a preset from a synth then you already have your answer. the preset contains the exact instructions for how the sound is made.
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

dont have sylenth in front of me but if I remember correctly, the chicago stab is set up something like this;

2-4 oscillators, one playing root note, one playing a 7th above. You can use the other 2 oscillators on the same notes just detuned slightly, maybe panned and/or phased in the opposite direction as the first 2 for a bit of stereo spread. there might have been one oscillator tuned on the 3rd can't remember... what really gives it its stabby sound is the filter envelope. pretty short decay, no attack, but play around with those to get your own sound. sometimes a bit of attack is nice to get a wah type sound at the beginning of the stab. you can even get deeper and automate the filter envelope attack or decay using an lfo or by hand for some movement of the sound over time. I think that preset had some delay on it although if I remember correctly, it sounded pretty basic. Experiment with a few different delays set with different delay times until you get a nice tail et voila. this can be done with any synth with multiple oscillators and filter envelopes...hope this helps
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

What's a 'chicago synth'?
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

AK wrote:What's a 'chicago synth'?
just the name of a preset in sylenth....pretty much the preset for your typical 0/3/7 house chord
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

So a chicago synth is a triad chord?

Well thats cleared that up then.