Hi hats like these

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

loictambay wrote:been using white noise for hats for a while but what I struggle with is getting a more realistic metallic timbre, or making it sound more like a shaker. I've been dissecting the sound into 2 parts, the first initial attack phase (the tsss) follow by the decay (a thiner tshhhhhhh). Can't seem to get it to sound as realistic as I want it to sound though. Been experimenting with filter envelopes but it just doesn't sound natural, just sounds like filtered white noise and not the natural reverberation of a cymbal. also tried layering 2 white noise hats, one with a more open attack and tail, and one for the initial transient but still not getting it to sound the way I want, any advice?

and as far as getting a more metallic sound, the closest I've come is to use a the looped noise instead of white noise, set at a higher pitch. gives it a bit of metallic sound but more digital than I want it to sound. I've tried vocoders, resonators, flangers, but not getting the result I want, any ideas?
i'm getting realistic shaker sounds with analogue gear, if you're ITB maybe theres a way to replicate it, i'm using a 808 hihat source module which is 6 detuned square waves (in the 1kHz to 9KHz region) fed through a band pass filter, then shaped into shaker shapes with an envelope generator, then sent to a distortion module.

the key here is the band passed detuned square waves and the distortion, way better than white noise, much grittier and grainier.
white noise always sounds like white noise unless you've got a very short decay, which you havent for a shaker sound.

i doubt you'll get digital distortion to work anywhere near as well as analogue distortion, you could try guitar distortion pedals if have one or can get a cheap used one.
good models - Boss DS1, and Turbo Rat, they can always be used for other things as well.
cant guarantee they will work in this application though, never tried it.

you can also try this;

i used to get good shaker sounds from my Nord Lead,
instead of using white noise as your sound source, try using it to frequency modulate a triangle wave, it will give you a better starting point than just white noise on its own and you can mix the two together in varying amounts and even modulate the mix with an LFO to add texture,

or FM your triangle wave with a (skinny) pulsewave thats one octave below it, this will give you more tambourine type timbres if you use very short midi notes very close together but randomly spaced, and varying velocities.
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

Shaker can be done quite easily with white noise. A little attack, short decay and a little release. Benefits from volume envelope to make some hits louder
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

nice, never thought of using squares to synthesis hats...good to know. makes sense though, filling out every frequency like white noise does only using squares to do it to get a grittier sound. getting something pretty close in ableton using 4 osc with some feedback, filter on band svf with shaper on soft around +3.0db
simple pattern on the off-beats, 3/16th delay sidechained to the kick. :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

boudo wrote:Shaker can be done quite easily with white noise. A little attack, short decay and a little release. Benefits from volume envelope to make some hits louder
yes it can be done easily, but it also sounds like it was done easily, it will only ever give you one sort of texture.
there are thousands of ways to do anything with synthesis, sometimes the easy option works, other times its better to go deeper.

if you want a variety of shaker sounds, you need to go deeper.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

loictambay wrote:nice, never thought of using squares to synthesis hats...good to know. makes sense though, filling out every frequency like white noise does only using squares to do it to get a grittier sound. getting something pretty close in ableton using 4 osc with some feedback, filter on band svf with shaper on soft around +3.0db
simple pattern on the off-beats, 3/16th delay sidechained to the kick. :)
i edited my post with some extra techniques, check it again, they might work for you.
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

steevio wrote: i edited my post with some extra techniques, check it again, they might work for you.
yeah, I've tried those last similar methods to add tone to my white noise snares. Never really satisfied how it sounds with shakers though.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I made some pretty cool shaker sounds the other day by recording a bunch of poppy seeds rolling around on a paper plate.

***edit

That may come across like a joke but it's not. Some eq and a little overdrive is all I added.
buonacc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by buonacc »

i'm *very* sure that hi-hat sound you're asking about is from the Elektron Machinedrum, using either the P-I or EFM machines.