Drum Machine ID needed.

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Drum Machine ID needed.

Post by AK »

A sound that I always wondered about has cropped up on a Youtube vid I stumbled across. I have always wondered about these Tom drums ever since I heard them on 'Man Parrish' Hip Hop Be Bop' but I have never actually nailed what machine they were off.

In this video, the Toms come in at 25 seconds and the title says, 808 and Linn Drum Toms, however, I have had many a Linn Sample and never once heard these Tom drums on them.

Here's the vid with the sound in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBtC7DN ... re=related

:?

They have appeared on numerous songs, not just Man Parrish stuff, Afrika Bambaata, Shannon - Let The Music Play ( extended version ) a few others which escape me now so I know it is off a drum machine and not a self created synth patch. That's not to say it would be that difficult to make, in fact I know there's an existing Roland Alpha Juno 2 patch that is very similar, albeit noisier but I'm more interested in knowing the exact drum machine. Anyone know?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

dunno but that track is dope!
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

I used to own an actual LinnDrum, and I don't think those toms are from that, but they are a bit low in the mix and I can hear some delay or other effect on them.

Those toms remind me of the ones from the Miami Vice theme, which I read might be from a Synare.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

the tom sound could have been done on a synth too. dunno what it might be
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

ive just had a quick listen to that and it reminded me of a video id seen on youtube of a guy messing with a Roland R8, you can do some pretty weird things with it that sound like those toms to me, might be worth checking out mate
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

The roland r8 came about in about 1989, the tracks where this Tom sound were featured are like 1982 or earlier even. But thats not to say the R8 hasnt got samples of these toms though.

Theres a few linn drums so I need to check the others I think, im not sure how many sounds they came with, perhaps I havent heard them all? And yeah, obviously the sound is synthetic, so it's been synthesized at some point as the linns were sample based. Its a sound that can be made but Id love to find out what drum machine they were actually using. Its definitely from something and isnt just a synth patch as the exact same sound is on a bunch of electro tracks from that era. Planet patrol - play at your own risk, is another.

Cheers though and that synare is something I havent come across before. Looks cool. I dunno if anybody has seen Eastenders outside the uk but that theme tune starts with some toms that are similar and I found out those are from a simmonds drum so I should check the sound of those too.

Somebody somewhere must be aware of the maching that was used though. Its like a vendetta now, I just have to find out. Lol
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

did you allready ask on gearslutz
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

No mate, not yet. Just tried here first.