MNML producers BEWARE !!!!

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

A lot of the techno artists I got into as a kid were making big rave and hardcore tunes, mostly sampling other peoples music and without question - doing so in what would have been seen as the lowest common denominator and in a lot of cases sounding exactly the same.

Even after that I had a thing about what people called 'frankfurt trance' which was pretty much just a distorted filtered kickdrum at around 180bpm and some snares if you were lucky - it was no different in approach really to some of the more formulaic stuff people might call 'minimal' these days.

Being as I lapped that up when I was in my teens - I'd be hypocritical to 'dennounce' that sort of thing.

but it is something to talk about, to form opinions on, there's no strict right or wrong, but I don't think anyone can argue that as a producer it's a topical discussion - particularly as dance / techno / electronic is far from being in it's infancy now and still - I hear people who mostly listen to say rock or are casual listeners who listen to chart stuff say - ohh but it all sounds the same or - it's not 'real music'.

On that basis - I look at artists like for example burial or murcof - who are able to exploit the full range of emotions covered by any other form of music, be really sucessfull, but still not sound anything like everybody else - I feel these people do much more in the scale of developing electronic music into something that everybody can enjoy - without regurgitating the same old thing.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Shed for me is like that for me.

I am now at the point where I am so stuck with my own music. Everything I make sounds like something that has already been done, so I have stopped for a little while till i get some inspiration back. But going back to Marco... I guess when your of his fame it doesnt really matter what you release, it doesnt matter if its been done a million times before because people will still love him. I just dont get this attitude though... does he not want to push things forward? can he not perhaps?
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

the question series totally ruled. i've got a few of them, and sold a few along the way, but i'm back to buying them up since they're so dirt cheap and plentiful.

however, his 1000 series was even better, and no one plays that sh!t.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

cloutier wrote:however, his 1000 series was even better, and no one plays that sh!t.
cloutier wrote:the question series totally ruled. i've got a few of them, and sold a few along the way, but i'm back to buying them up since they're so dirt cheap and plentiful.

no-one you've heard recently that is eric-san ;)

I guess it's a reigional thing - some places might have got hit harder than others - but over here, Edinburgh and Glasgow were saturated with that sound for years - until plinky plonky minimal and electro-house took over.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Do you have much going on up in Scotland at the moment? Rubadub our distro seems to stock the music im into, so there must be a following for the deep sh!t up there.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

It varies, like everywhere I suppose and it depends on what sort of music you like.

Glasgow is generally pretty cool, Edinburgh can be a bit quiet sometimes - it's got a very transient crowd, lots of people coming and going so it's hard to build a regular scene.

But yeah - glasgow always has good stuff on, last time I was over I caught autechre, who played the hardest music I've ever heard in my life - I've seen autechre play many many times, but I've never seen a crowd go apeshit and party to their music - so it can be quite mad for that - glasgow people definately know how to holler and stamp their feet :)
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

haha which makes me laugh if we go back to the original point of this thread - if people are upset with that review or me poking fun at it, then I suggest they don't ever come and play in scotland - a bad review is nothing compared to 500+ mental clubbers preparing to rip you a new arsehole
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

cloutier wrote:the question series totally ruled. i've got a few of them, and sold a few along the way, but i'm back to buying them up since they're so dirt cheap and plentiful.

same here. have the complete 1000 series. and some of the question series.

i heard him play recently and he is still a really good dj. plays still some minimal stuff that is featured on his album but he knows how to connect these tracks to a dancefloor experience.
i think the review goes for the most stuff that hits beatport. could apply to stuff like maya jane something too. uninspired dj fodder.
techno made me do it