ableton limiting

- ask away
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

Someone said 4-5 month ago on this board that it's better to leave the master channel at 0db, and to lower all the other channels to -6, -8db. Does this really make a difference?
Isn't the main idea that no channel should go over 0db, and the master channel must be at approx. -5db?
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

LouisVee wrote:Someone said 4-5 month ago on this board that it's better to leave the master channel at 0db, and to lower all the other channels to -6, -8db. Does this really make a difference?
Isn't the main idea that no channel should go over 0db, and the master channel must be at approx. -5db?
In theory it doesn't matter if your channels go above 0dB (floating point) but likely too hot levels in the plugins are involved. So, getting used to safe levels in general,
will just keep a better balance (it all adds up on the mixbuss), starting from the source (if I have an audiofile that's maxed to 0dB in an audio channel, I automatically lower it by 6 or 7dB)

Lowering the channel faders while the plugins on the channels are all clipping = missed the purpose (unless intended). That's why I say "start at the source".

As deccard said, some plugins are just fine with overloading and/or even have modelled inputs/outputs for saturation but generaly it's better to not drive them too hot.
That's what I personally love about lives plugin chain, that you can see the little level meters inside each module (unless racked), so it's pretty easy to control this.

Mixing at moderate levels also has the advantage of giving you more headroom, in case you really need to raise a sound or group a lot (and still being in the "safe range" on the mixbuss).

But again..just my way of working. There's no rules (but guidelines can be a nice thing)...otherwise I wouldn't place stuff on my mixbuss, while many say: That's a No-Go! ;)