How Music Works Series

- ask away
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i think the introduction of music is different for everyone. i began with drum lessons, before i even knew how to play them. eventually i grew tired of it and switched to guitar lessons. my guitar teacher nearly had a heart attack each lesson because i passively refused to practice the dull-ass clapton-licks he was trying to teach me. his insistence of using traditional notation was a huge turn off for my 14 year old self.

but from 14-18 i learned as many tabs as i could find. tablature opened me up to the linear nature of scales and their structure and i spent 16-20 memorizing and obsessively repeating all the major/minor scales/chords in my mind. i did this until i could call upon this information without thinking about it.

funny thing was that both my interests and my disinterests converged to become an unconscious data bank of knowledge, which i still draw upon to this day when producing/writing music. similar stories happen with any techno producer, there are some cats who have classical training, others who still don't know basic scale theory. either way we all arrive at a personal plateau, where we can look downhill and see where we came from, what we know, how we look at things. i do not believe there is a right or wrong way of arriving there.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Theory is crap and a goldmine at the same time.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

AK wrote:Theory is crap and a goldmine at the same time.
lots of music that shows a well versed knowledge in music theory is just bad. maybe nickelback or creed, music that has no sour note, no real dissonance or expiramentation. just straight forward music that almost wrote itself. abba and erasure fall into this category too, but i f***king love them to death. baroque part writing rules and relying on traditionals can be used to poop a song out almost instantaneously, and most pop songs rely on these devices. trance music and the deadmau5 type electro utilize this as well, this is why i can hear their music but i cannot listen to it. it doesn't give me anything my ear can't guess, no adventure, it doesn't bait my thirst for sound.
mclean1979
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mclean1979 »

Cheers, this looks interesting
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

!!

Post by Direkt »

Robot Criminal wrote:
hydrogen wrote:thanks for posting this Shepherd_of_Anu. You've always got great stuff to share. thank u
+1!

ok a tad OT here but I have to share
What the Future Sounded Like 1
What the Future Sounded Like 2
What the Future Sounded Like 3
Amazing videos dude! Too bad I couldn't see the others about "How music works"
bam