original idea thread

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

anyway, theres something interesting in this, how do you stick to the realms of techno whilst trying to be unique or different?

What I mean is, if you were trying to be unique whilst still pushing your music as techno, dont you run the risk of alienating listeners? Theres a certain degree of expectation when you subscribe to a genre and if its completely different from everything else, how can you claim its techno?

This isnt my own personal view btw, im all for 'different' but if I paid to get into a tent at a festival or whatever expecting a certain type of music and it was completely different from what I as the listening public imagined, Id be like, wtf man.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

techno means different things to different people.

when i got into it in the late 1980s anything which was made on synths/ drum machines was called techno before it started to branch out into trance, acid techno, etc etc... and it still means that to me now.

unless it is blatantly trying to be generic, (eg dubstep, drum and bass etc) any music made in that way is techno to me. i dont see techno as 'must be made in Detroit' must be 4/4 etc... infact i challenge that techno is even usually 4/4 at all, its quite often 1/1 or 2/2. 8/8 etc...

for me there is still room for future developement in techno, if there wasnt i wouldnt be making it.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

Make a techno song that is the exact same played forwards and backwards. Wait...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Maiyal wrote:Make a techno song that is the exact same played forwards and backwards. Wait...
LOL thats easy, how about the same in 5 dimensions ?
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

steevio wrote:
Maiyal wrote:Make a techno song that is the exact same played forwards and backwards. Wait...
LOL thats easy, how about the same in 5 dimensions ?
I wonder what that would sound like. :lol:
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

like a palindrome! lol, not to be confused with the ACTUAL techno song "Palindrome" lol