Cheap HW synth better than Soft Synths?

- ask away
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Being a dinosaur does have its advantages, you know both worlds.
ITB + Analogue. If you are combining them both that is. Casanova knows that analog drummachines still got the advantage in beat making than via software. That knowing convinces me and maybe others to think about that Machinedrum worth my whole studio instead of that virtual drummachine like Ultrabeat/Redrum/Kong etc. About the drummachines, I read about the specific feeling/swing in these machines, also in the MPC 2500 sampler.
What about NI Maschine does that give a typical groove/feel?

I know nothing analogue, yeah the Reason patching cables ;) Just reading and hearing from experienced people. That's why I'm grateful to you and the other guys on this forum sharing that knowledge with the new kids on the block.

I have been taking piano lessons for half a year. 3 years ago :) But it took me too much time and hassle with college and stuff so I quit.

I wish my parents would have stomped me behind a piano, learning curve is less steep when you're young. Less thinking, more doing.

Writing a memorable piece involves a emotional connection between the music and listener. For that emotional connection you need theory.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Casanova808 wrote:Just look at that James Blake guy. He is fcking horrible, but since he is young and handsome, can sing a little bit, and has a little bit of musicality people are lining up to bob on his nuts. He is fcking awful, but it just goes to show how low the bar is right now.
sure some of his songs are a bit pop but you can't really say things like than on mnml.nl. the minimal techno scene has become the most dull and boring of all electronic music, it's fucking dead. i sometime wonder why i still post here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9teeB1aB ... re=related

i'm so pleased dance music is getting interesting again. 8)
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Depends on the synths, but in most cases no.

If you want cheap then you get better value with software for sure.

Check out uHe ACE if you want cheap quality, my favourite synth of the last 5 years for a mere 69 euros.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:
Casanova808 wrote:Just look at that James Blake guy. He is fcking horrible, but since he is young and handsome, can sing a little bit, and has a little bit of musicality people are lining up to bob on his nuts. He is fcking awful, but it just goes to show how low the bar is right now.
sure some of his songs are a bit pop but you can't really say things like than on mnml.nl. the minimal techno scene has become the most dull and boring of all electronic music, it's fcking dead. i sometime wonder why i still post here.

There are loads of people here that dont produce minimal though. For me its just a place to come and be a geek for a while, the music style doesnt matter to me.

Casanova has a point. The bar is low at the moment, especially on Beatport which can really break through an artist. I have plenty of friends that stopped making niche underground music and started to produce fodder and they are now doing really well.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

yer ace is good, id save an get hardware tho, when u buy hardware you tend to spend longer learning the ins an outs of the kit rather than surfing the presets and moving onto the next free/shareware synth, also using hardware leaves more cpu for other tasks, and in general sounds alot better
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

About the drummachines, I read about the specific feeling/swing in these machines, also in the MPC 2500 sampler.
What about NI Maschine does that give a typical groove/feel?
I can't give you any advice on this. I have only owned the 2kxl and the 1000 when it first came out(before jjos). I really loved sequencing on the 2kxl and thought it was ok for sampling(I'm not much of a sampler guy) and I didn't keep the 1000 long enough to really be able to judge it.

I hear the 2500 with JJOS is pretty nice. It also seems like the people who have moved over to Maschine seem to like it a lot. I have never used Machine so I can't really judge it. If I didn't already have a working studio, a personal style, and a release schedule I would really consider something like Maschine. The price of a Macbook, Maschine, and and RME soundcard kind of scares me off as well :) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
sure some of his songs are a bit pop but you can't really say things like than on mnml.nl. the minimal techno scene has become the most dull and boring of all electronic music, it's fcking dead. i sometime wonder why i still post here.
You should know by now that 70% of the time I am only here to troll. Hell, I thought mnml sucked in 2006 and I think it sucks now. I pretty much only listen to old records from Detroit, Chicago and New York from maybe 1975-1995. I listen to other stuff, but I try to stick within that 20 year span when it comes to dance music.
I wish my parents would have stomped me behind a piano, learning curve is less steep when you're young. Less thinking, more doing.
I don't know about this. You might find music completely boring and you would be into painting because your parents make you play that stupid piano when you were a kid.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:
tone-def wrote:

There are loads of people here that dont produce minimal though. For me its just a place to come and be a geek for a while, the music style doesnt matter to me.

Casanova has a point. The bar is low at the moment, especially on Beatport which can really break through an artist. I have plenty of friends that stopped making niche underground music and started to produce fodder and they are now doing really well.
i think the bar is low but it's a bad example of an artist. James Blake is pushing things in interesting directions and deserves credit for it. maybe a lot of techno people wouldn't understand his music. that's easy to understand because it doesn't go boom boom boom boom. it's about as far away from beatport club fodder as you can get.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

i think the bar is low but it's a bad example of an artist. James Blake is pushing things in interesting directions and deserves credit for it. maybe a lot of techno people wouldn't understand his music. that's easy to understand because it doesn't go boom boom boom boom. it's about as far away from beatport club fodder as you can get.
I think he is a perfect example because he is crap, but he is being held up as a ground breaking artist. If I can listen to post-bop jazz and understand what is happening on a musical level, I can understand what is happening in a James Blake record. He isn't that far out...

He is one of those guys who is basically competent, young and handsome. If you took away his looks and his work ethic, no one would care about him because his music isn't spectacular. It is OK music made by a charismatic guy who got lucky with the internet hype machine. The music BUSINESS isn't about music, and he is a perfect example of that.