How is this bass made and arranged?

- ask away
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

To be honest I don't think I have the prerogative to decide how someone learns. If someone asks for a few tips or how a sound is made I'm happy to help out as fully as possible. To come on here with an attitude of 'I could tell you how it''s done but then you won't learn' seams pretty patronising.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Maiyal wrote:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
In my opinion it's better to try and let the guys learn it themselves by guiding them the right way rather than telling exactly how they should do it. If you tell them exactly how to do it, chances are they won't get much out of it. The next time they have a similar question, guess where they'll be coming instead of opening up their DAW.
well, isn't that what makes a forum?
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Maiyal wrote:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
In my opinion it's better to try and let the guys learn it themselves by guiding them the right way rather than telling exactly how they should do it. If you tell them exactly how to do it, chances are they won't get much out of it. The next time they have a similar question, guess where they'll be coming instead of opening up their DAW.
Always found that sort of attitude to be a bit pretentious. Learning how to program specific sounds is a good way of learning. Whether people want to use that learning to improve their technique and make original sounds or just to copy their favourite tracks is up to them... music production and synthesis are pretty difficult, leaving people to figure it out themselves might not always be the best way. Help is good.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

You guys are so touchy. It's all about the presentation.

1. Hey guys how do I make this phat bass sound? (insert youtube link)

versus

2. Hey guys I really like how Maetrik creates bass tones. I have listened to his catalogue and recognized a general theme to his bass sounds. I've attempted to recreate this feeling by (insert your techniques) but I'm not quite getting it. For example in this song (insert youtube link) the bass cuts through the mix yet still maintains a deep and tight bottom end. Here are some attempts I've made (insert soundcloud link). Could someone take a listen and let me know what else I should try?

Don't you guys understand this? The majority of people on this forum have sat in their rooms/studios for hours/days/months/years on end trying to figure out these things for themselves. I know I have. I almost never ask questions on a forum about how to achieve specific sounds. I just sit in my studio with a cup of coffee and some herb and have at it until I can't take it anymore.

People are so fucking lazy these days.