Ricardo Kick

- ask away
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Ricardo Kick

Post by Toloache »

Wow nonplaced... nice analysis :)

In regard to the rest of the discussion, ricardo music really shines on good soundsistems... Taken out of context maybe it isn't your classic super kick, but in the song it works well.. very weel indeed..

I will go as far as to say.. Dont know about other people.. But i had the ah-ah moment and realized ricardo is a genius when i listened to vasco EP under the influence of a famous mind altering substance who the hippie loved so much. Not every song take you were his songs take you, sound wise, thats sure.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Btw this takes you somewhere very distant to an unknown place like -> :o on the old hippy substance, but I guess it's very individual...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95AhAEFe ... re=related
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

btw, just so you know i love Ricardo, i was only aving a laff.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it's true though, his kicks sound weak on most HI-Fi and nearfield monitors. but on a massive club system it's a different story.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

nonplaced wrote:Here are a couple of audio samples.

The dry version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23299706/rickyk ... 02-dry.aif

Then quickly + haphazardly processed using Ableton's built-in EQ + compressor, pitched down by four semitones in Simpler.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23299706/rickyk ... 02-wet.aif

My monitoring setup doesn't lend itself at all well to bass unfortunately; it's still a fair way off. I have to say though, it's pretty interesting doing geeky forensic stuff like this.
So the first one is you sampling your electribe ER-1 and the second sample is you tweaking the first sample to get a kick like ricardo "amazordrum" right?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:it's true though, his kicks sound weak on most HI-Fi and nearfield monitors. but on a massive club system it's a different story.
thats the 808 effect, i know people are saying he doesnt use them, but thats exactly what happens with an 808 kick, they sound crap on most speakers but they rock through a system. they dont have any harmonics worth speaking of.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:it's true though, his kicks sound weak on most HI-Fi and nearfield monitors. but on a massive club system it's a different story.
thats the 808 effect, i know people are saying he doesnt use them, but thats exactly what happens with an 808 kick, they sound crap on most speakers but they rock through a system. they dont have any harmonics worth speaking of.
Yeah, nothing really going on except for sub and a bit of click. I don't know how old skool electro got by or processed real 808 kicks but a lot of the 808 kicks on those tracks punched through fine on Hi Fi speakers, I had a shitty one as a little kid and some of the first records I ever bought were like Hashim-The Soul, Planet Rock etc and both of those have 808 kicks yet still manage to create presence on speakers which probably cut off about 80hz or so. I think though, they tended to really shorten the kick to take all the sub out of it and then apply gate reverb to elongate the attack portion of the sound or something. Still, nowhere near as much thump as a 909. I do like 808 kicks myself, not the easiest thing to mix though and I have often 'crafted' additonal harmonics based on the fundamental into a sample to give it more meat in the frequencies upward of say 80hz but that ends up more like a damn science project than music. fck that sh!t.
nonplaced
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nonplaced »

steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:yep it sounds like a click.

however when im at fabric listening to this sort of music at 6am it sounds so good. There is no click like kick drums, it works perfectly and sounds well punchy.
if you'd played a tune with a kick like that in a mid 90s warehouse party, you'd have been dragged off the decks by some well punchy geezers :)
There was me thinking mid-90s warehouses were just non-stop Studio Eins :(