Ricardo Villalobos

fromkaraoketostardom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fromkaraoketostardom »

I've seen him 3 times, first time, it was 3 hours of pure magic, one of the greatest sets i've ever experienced, out of this world, really. The last time i saw him, it was a drugged up mix for drugged people by a totally fcked up dj. I must admit i admire his ability to mix records & his ability to mix drugs too both at the same time. And glad he helped Richie to see the fun part in mnml techno !!!
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

psherburne wrote:i've heard ricardo's forthcoming doublepack for cadenza and it's by far his most "out there" production, full of rippling rhythms and long, twisting figures. i'm very curious to see how people react to it, because it's about as far as his MixMag Top 100 DJ Poll listing as you could get...
Yeah, everybody that has taken shots at Ricardo for his "quasi-celebrity status" should spend some time wandering around this mammoth release.. it's vast, troubling, and brilliant!

,g
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

mates... the remix of One Night in NYC says it all.. (as a producer)... who makes you going crazy with a simple kinda double kick?.. :roll:

and somewhere i read that Hawtin is a better dj. I say that you don't really listened very well..
schlupfer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by schlupfer »

ricardo = heaven, period. :P
JACK you boys!
peter glitch and crackle
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by peter glitch and crackle »

ricardo music .
Last edited by peter glitch and crackle on Wed May 24, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conradaroma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Conradaroma »

Yeh, interesting thread.

Living in a place like Calgary means that there is little chance I will see him here except maybe once in a blue moon. Cool thing if that happens is that I can't see him getting blasted before he goes up to DJ (although who knows, right). I'd pay 20$ to see it anyways...

However, I jsut got my copy of the au harem d'archimede in the mail today. quite good so far, now to let time tell me the whole story.

oh, and happy new year :)
Teleportation Now!
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

leecurtiss wrote:i cannot easily get my head around the fact that people have turned a thread like this into a "beat on ricardo" session, thank you for everyone that has lent insite to those that may not grasp the importance of what this man is doing. and to pick on him for drug use or missing planes.....are you a bunch of fucking geeks? does anyone remember how the rock stars of the earlier decades behaved? with his kind of mind and lifestyle, things that seem incredibly important to you are nothing to a man like him. so he misses a plane and is all fucked up at some after party.... does anyone remember Jim Morrison? Hendix? Zepplin? ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO BUST ON SOMEONE FOR BEING A PARTY ANIMAL? go ahead and bust on me to then. i'm not making his partying into a positive point but for god sake, do any of you know what some of your favorite producer/DJs drug habits are.... and does it really matter?

if you don't like his music, maybe it's not for you then, maybe you're not ready for it yet, maybe someday you will learn to appreciate it. a classicly trained percussionist, a visionary and a genious. if his tracks go nowhere then i wish i could figure out how to get my tracks to go nowhere to.
After talking to you and Seth and all the other Ricardo fans i know i decided to go and take a serious listen to his music. The guy is definitly a professional. He has his own sound and his own mood to his music which is good and his production is very crisp. That being said though i think calling him a "genious" is going waaaaaaaaay overboard. I'll admit that minimal is not my number one choice in electronic music but it is slowly growing on me with material from a few producers really shining through. Ricardo though is not yet one of them. He has a few tracks that i like but in general musicly he doesn't grab me very hard. In general though i gravitate to tracks that are not so subtle and scream "listen to me". I think he has the potential to come out with some great material that will set him apart from the pack even further but IMO that time has not yet come for him. I do like his dj sets but from a producing standpoint he has a poor batting average with me. As for the partying comment, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendrix and John Bonham from Led Zepplin are all dead. So i hope you weren't forecasting death for poor Ricardo :wink: .
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Who are you? William Shatner?

Geez thanks for the serious listening...
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker