Whats the future of minimal is going to bring??

- open
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

northernlight wrote:
plaster wrote:
northernlight wrote:
i quite like the idea of replacing "minimal" with "intelligent". but the question is: is some music more intelligent than other? what would justify minimal techno/house to be labeld intelligent?

could you manage to explain what would be so intelligent in minimal? i think it's a silly clasification made out of elitist listeners.
erm :?

i asked the same question in other words :D

sorry for my bad english :wink:

woops...i just managed to read it correctly. my bad..i'm having this problem for the whole week. reading something and then realising it's completely different. :wink:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

To better know the future, you better know the past. Been following the "minimal"/IDM/whatsoever isn't commercial since the early 90's and it's history repeating...
katie_m
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by katie_m »

pheek wrote:To better know the future, you better know the past. Been following the "minimal"/IDM/whatsoever isn't commercial since the early 90's and it's history repeating...
exactly!!!techno has always being mnml whatsover...we never know the future, cuz we make it instanly.. ;)
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

There's definitely been a lot more "minimal" in the past few years, since it's been more popular, and I think it's starting to get to the point where people are getting a little tired of the same sounds. I think it's time now where you've got to do things to set yourself apart. The artists that can do this will float to the top and stay there and define the next big sound, and all the rest will fade away. This is just the cycle that we've been seeing for many years with all of the forms of underground electronic music.

I sure hope I'm listening to new sounds and ideas in 5 years.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

brianc wrote:There's definitely been a lot more "minimal" in the past few years, since it's been more popular, and I think it's starting to get to the point where people are getting a little tired of the same sounds. I think it's time now where you've got to do things to set yourself apart. The artists that can do this will float to the top and stay there and define the next big sound, and all the rest will fade away. This is just the cycle that we've been seeing for many years with all of the forms of underground electronic music.

I sure hope I'm listening to new sounds and ideas in 5 years.
I agree. Modern techno has changed the structure of "the typical dance tune", giving poducers the freedom to do whatever they feel. I do feel sorry for guys like Armin van Buren who are tied so closely to a concept/style they have no freedom to do anything other. Thats the beauty of techno (which can be intelligent too).

Now minimal has changed the face of techno and redefined it. As mentioned in a dutch newspaper. "Minimal is the way techno was ment to always be"-Bart Skils
There is no limit to the sounds/structure and creations of minimal. For example Audion's mouth to mouth.. Can anybody from 5 years ago imagine a tune like that.. I think not.

Maybe there will always be a fine posse of electronauts like the m_nus crew who make it their mission to always redefine what it is we know and break all barriers...I certainly hope so.
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

Hey, new to the board and saw this thread.

I think that minimal is more of an idea for music. It has been great for the industry in general. It keeps people from making it so complicated and over done. I like to think that it takes it back to the original days when there wasn't so much you could do with a track but make it groove.

One drawback is that there are other people that will just try to make a buck and not really care about the idea of minimal. I think that we are seeing that now. It will return to the old days but have a better undergound scene. Techno itself, always underground.

As I say in my signature. Reborn in Detroit. I know a lot of people that will travel to Miami and say that they have seen the best shows in the world down there. I tell them I went to Detroit and they ask me if I am OK>
Reborn in Detroit
minidine
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minidine »

Maybe the same will happen to mnml like to schranz?? And we'll get caught a unfashionable fringe group :wink:
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

northernlight wrote:but the question is: is some music more intelligent than other? what would justify minimal techno/house to be labeld intelligent?
plaster wrote:could you manage to explain what would be so intelligent in minimal? i think it's a silly clasification made out of elitist listeners.
yeah...or lazy producers with the artistic pretense of doing something "conceptual".

I call some of it lazy... You can't compensate lazyness with intelligence... A lazy genius is still a wanker.
brianc wrote:There's definitely been a lot more "minimal" in the past few years, since it's been more popular, and I think it's starting to get to the point where people are getting a little tired of the same sounds.....
Meat and potatoes. Can be very good. So can a
Kick+a static minor chord+crackles+some sine sub.. If cooked right. Otherwise painfully boring, shallow, anonymous, dead, grey. And patently, deliberately so.