villalobos about ableton

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I like the phrase "It ain't what ya got, it's what you do with it". That said, some things sound better than others. My cheapo tube preamp sounds better than all the tube emulator plugs I've demo'd. As far as logic vs ableton, I have no idea. I've used Logic for 10 years now, but I want to do a live set one day and will eventually learn ableton. Also, recording in 24 bit is a must in any daw. As I stated previously, I'm still wary of "rendering" period. I always bounce in real time. I can't tell which program anything was recorded nowadays, but back in the day I did a fruity loops to Logic comparison and it was very very obvious which program made which tune.

For me, it's more about analog synths vs software synths. There's just something about volts running through circuits that software can't emulate. I used all software for a very long time. When I started using hardware, I got excited about music again. There's just something about your hands being on the controls and not staring at a screen. Analog synths sound thicker and just have a bite to them that vst's and what not don't have. That was obvious to me right away. I can make the exact same patch on my prophet that I make on the ES2 in Logic and it's very obvious. Especially with the filters. Not trying to sound like I'm better than the all software camp or whatever. It was just so refreshing to me to have pads sound like I wanted them to.

Regardless of all the bull sh!t, as long as you're having fun making tunes, you're living the dream. I took a chance on analog gear because I was tired of softsynths not making the sounds in my head.

ez
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

hardware synths + ableton= win
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »

jessejames wrote:hydrogen = arrogant maker of cliche crap desserts
i would never go eat in his restaurant :lol:
...::::....::::....::::...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

bip wrote:
jessejames wrote:hydrogen = arrogant maker of cliche crap desserts
i would never go eat in his restaurant :lol:
when i was there i ordered apple pie and end up with some crappy kids yogurt. i asked to see the chef and out stepped hydrogen. "what's this?" i said. "that is a strawberry yogurt and that is what you'll be eating tonight" he replied. "i put a lot of effort into making that yogurt and you will eat it. there will be no apple pies here." he then turned around and headed back to the kitchen. "wait" i shouted but he didn't listen.

he doesn't even make dessert he just buys them at Tesco.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

:lol:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

lmao.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yesterday i decided ableton was a very boring environment to be making music in (for me). i have put it in my cupboard.

edit. actually it was the day before yesterday.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

oblioblioblio wrote:yesterday i decided ableton was a very boring environment to be making music in (for me). i have put it in my cupboard.

edit. actually it was the day before yesterday.
just to tell the storey a bit more.

I just found that whenever I laoded it up I had the same thoughts about making music. Nothing fresh.

Maxforlive is cool but it is still dominated by the Ableton side. I think I will use maxforlive in the future but Ableton needs to be in the background.

I'm not saying Ableton is a bad tool. It;s just not for me. Linear sequencing is at least 20 years old.

But that's just me. Poeple should use what they enjoy&understand and that gets them results that they are happy with.