villalobos about ableton

- ask away
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

oblioblioblio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:yesterday i decided ableton was a very boring environment to be making music in (for me). i have put it in my cupboard.

edit. actually it was the day before yesterday.
just to tell the storey a bit more.

I just found that whenever I laoded it up I had the same thoughts about making music. Nothing fresh.

Maxforlive is cool but it is still dominated by the Ableton side. I think I will use maxforlive in the future but Ableton needs to be in the background.

I'm not saying Ableton is a bad tool. It;s just not for me. Linear sequencing is at least 20 years old.

But that's just me. Poeple should use what they enjoy&understand and that gets them results that they are happy with.
I have a stupid question!
What are other options apart from "Linear sequencing"? Live and Logic use that in my understanding (I might be wrong)???

tasos

linear = arraignment view? or normal Logic use? right??
Last edited by Daemonix on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Rose »

oblioblioblio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:yesterday i decided ableton was a very boring environment to be making music in (for me). i have put it in my cupboard.

edit. actually it was the day before yesterday.
just to tell the storey a bit more.

I just found that whenever I laoded it up I had the same thoughts about making music. Nothing fresh.

Maxforlive is cool but it is still dominated by the Ableton side. I think I will use maxforlive in the future but Ableton needs to be in the background.

I'm not saying Ableton is a bad tool. It;s just not for me. Linear sequencing is at least 20 years old.

But that's just me. Poeple should use what they enjoy&understand and that gets them results that they are happy with.
ableton can be also linear sequencer
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Daemonix wrote: I have a stupid question!
What are other options apart from "Linear sequencing"? Live and Logic use that in my understanding (I might be wrong)???

tasos
not stupid question.

linear sequencing was a word that somebody who i was talking to used yesterday. it made sense then but talking about it now, it;'s not perfect.

i guess all sequencers are linear. to input values onto a timeline. Ableton is a minor variation to this theme but still the classic idea like cubase and etc.

And I'm not sure how easy it is to get away from putting notevalues onto a piece of time, but I think there are different methods much further away from the classic style than Ableton.

For me, I am looking further into MAxmsp. It's hard and I don't eally feel 100% comfortablw with it yet. But it feels so much nicer. the possiblities of it excite me and it doesn't tell me how to behave so much. I think you will always be stuck into a timeline kinda way of sequencing. But I think there are much nicer ways which aren't only a minor variation to the calssic cubase/logic style. For instance in max I can have sequencers all interacting with each other, adding notes every so often. Or doing something when something else happens.

It also has a natural way of representing audio information and data flow.

But, just to re-emphasise. THat's just my views. I don't want to get into an argument, I'm not saying this is better for anybody else. I'm just saying where I'm at currently.

There are other options for more interesting sequencing. Five12 numerology for example.[/i]
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Daemonix wrote:
linear = arraignment view? or normal Logic use? right??
I would say both are classic linear sequencing. Session view is a nice twist. Especially with dummy clips and follow actions etc etc. But it's still kinda locked into the old style.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i would say live and logic are nonlinear environments. isn't linear where you just press record and play?
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

Erm, I've got a feeling music is linear, isn't it? :?

Kind of makes it difficult to compose something in a non-linear fashion.

The only thing that occurs to me is building loops and then piecing these together in a modular fashion. But then you get loopitus!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

in a classic DAW you can record a guitar that is in the outro first. i can arrange everything however i want by moving things around in the arrange window, thats about as nonlinear as you get.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

always the best thing is what works for you the most.

for me, Ableton was't working so I've put it to one side.

linear might not have been the best word to describe what i was talking about. linear for me means focussing on a to b too much in the wrong way. like I say all sequencers are gonna be a to b somehow, but some I find much more boring and uninspiring than others.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.