liveset with just a drummachine

- ask away
nicogrubert
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nicogrubert »

I think, I would use the monomachine just as a sequencer to sequence softsynths. The most expensive sequencer then... ;-)

The machinedrum was kind of cool but maybe I was somehow fastidious by the KORG ESX which is my primary drum machine at the moment when I am on stage.
But I also think about the jomox 888 because their shuffle functions sound sooo sexy. :-)
I prefer machines that are as simple as possible so maybe the machinedrum wouldn't be a good choice...
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

Yes machinedrum and monomachine (even more) are quite complex beasts :)
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

Hey Wesen

I'm looking forward for new liveset. I've read almost whole thread, your latest MachineDrum notes, your blog... You made me seriously considering making midi seq and put something together in Ableton.

I really admire your sound design, your sound and your overall aproach to this thing. It's very nice from you that you share your techniques and ideas with others.

Big up!!!
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

wesen wrote:hey nico thx for the kind words. the set is just machinedrum + monomachine, no other gear. I think 850 for a mkii monomachine is ace, it's a deep machine. However maybe if you gave up on the machinedrum after a few weeks you'll be put off by the mono as well, it sounds pretty cold as well, and i think both machines need quite a lot of work to get them round to your liking. I find the monomachine to be "harder" to use than the machinedrum, but then I've spent so much time on the machinedrum I can't really tell. I know I was kinda disappointed by the MD at first as well, it took me a few months (and realizing you ahve to turn VOL down on everything) to find a way into it.
this mirrors my experience with the KORG EMX (often referred to as the "poor man's MD" the KORG EMX is a deep machine too imo. Most of what I've seen put out from 90% of the users of the EMX is junk but you'd like to hear some really good mnml made with just an EMX and a KAOSSPAD

check out this link (not my music)

http://fwdthought.com/music/dubulator.zip
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Hello people,

I'm bumping this thread as I had the chance to play alongside Wesen @ Club transmediale in Maria am Ostbahnhof in Berlin.
The set consisted in 2 Machinedrums, 1 Monomachine and Ableton Live. So basically Wesen on the MD and Mono while I was both on the other MD and Live. Of course Wesen also had his infamous MidiCommand which does indeed transform the Machinedrum in quite another beast.
You can grab the set here : http://ruinwesen.com/static/media/opusw ... a-2009.mp3 .

Curious to know what you'll think of it all. Btw Wesen's control of the MD is very impressive seems like he doesn't even think when using it, really shows how it can become a "real" instrument imo.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

ohh looking forward to coming home tonight and checking out :)
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

link's not working for me
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

webserver is currently down because of power failure in the datacenter, hope it's back online soon. I'm upping the set on another server for the time being...