Demos

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:i wasnt talking about myself btw. I think like you, but just a lil less of the hippy sh!t ;)

there are so many people making music though to get gigs. so many...these are party people though, they love to party so much and this is how they got into djing. now if they wanna dj, they need releases out so they have no choice. one of my friends calls it a necessary evil.

I never found the right label for me, which is why I just started releasing my own music. apart from one other release and some net label stuff my music has always been put out by me. its strange... my own releases do really well and have sold out, but still no label wants to sign me. i get told my music just is too deep or not right or whatever really, just always something. I am glad I have full control over my music though, so many people tell me horror stories from dealing with labels. there are somethings certain labels can do for your career though, which is what im now after i suppose.
yeah i understood that.

I also understand that life is much variety. Maybe some of those guys go on to have interesting and deep careers from those first steps. I was watching an intereview with Marshall Jefferson, and whenever the interviewer made any points about the significance of the music he was making, M.J. was pretty adament that the only reason he was making music was 'to get girls'.

So yeah, I'm not saying that any business structure relating to music is bad. But it's a tricky balance, and too much of the money side and the music side dies away.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:Its such a werid topic... we pretend that we would do the right thing, but then if someone told us we would get x amount of money for doing something a little out of our comfort zone who would really say no? I heard Luciano got around 1 million. Thats a life changing amount of money, which i think would be hard to say no too.
Yep that's totally true. Maybe it's much easier to say it's best to do the right thing, and if the chance was presented it would be a different story.

I really feel like its true that you need to keep some balance. You do need to eat, and even though music is inherently a soulful activity, there are ways to make money from it. But the balance that you keep from selling it really deeply affects the music itself. Maybe it's like farming. If you keep it in balance, and you respect the land, you'll be allright.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Best to just say nothing I guess and just do your own thing. If you start putting boundaries on things you might end up regretting certain things.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ah i still feel pretty comfortable saying that business side can be really disgusting.

at it's core music is completely unrelated to business. its needs to be supported by something but it's not business.

feel free to come slap me round the face in the future if you find me doing otherwise. ha ha.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

as long as you're happy man. for me I dont want to be waiting tables for the rest of my life, so it a fight to get out of that.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:as long as you're happy man. for me I dont want to be waiting tables for the rest of my life, so it a fight to get out of that.
tell me about it dude.

but every chance i took to move out of that lifestyle. every glimpse i have seen of the "music is a commodity" world has left me feeling ill and made me never want to see it again.

that lifestyle is valuable IMO. That is what life is like. It's a struggle to make ends meets. A feeling of not having control. Music is for people, and it's related to the struggle of life.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I'm going to move out of London. If I do this I'll be able to live from music I think. If I move out to the country somewhere I can get a lot more for my money and a lot more time to focus on music.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:I'm going to move out of London. If I do this I'll be able to live from music I think. If I move out to the country somewhere I can get a lot more for my money and a lot more time to focus on music.
do it dude.

ive no idea why anyone wanting to survive from underground music would live in London.