modular etc etc

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:The Y cables should work out fine in theory, mechanically they could b a bit bodged. will probably make some up in the next few days...

I am loving the engineering of the doepfer stuff, all thru-hole single sided pcbs. almost like a diy board. really easy to fault find and mod.

I know I can fit all the vco mods onto the front panel, im going to change the knobs. way too big and plastic for quick easy tweeking. some of the doepfer panels are a bit cramped.
There is also a mod to dc couple the outputs, although i dont know what this would do to the signal... have to see it on a scope.

Have you got any a110s steevio?
no i havent got any A110s, i'm a Z3000 man myself, love them, but i might be interested in doing some mods on cheaper modules for future reference.
it's quite weird the different modules people choose to buy, the only one out of your list ive got is the A138.

i'm off to Bristol tomorrow to drop the new mindtours release into the distro, and i'm calling in at Emis to get some mods done to my doepfer quantizers to make them tune more accurately.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

do they not tune very well??

quantizers on paper are very specific, tolerances have to be very low.
I took one look at a schematic and decided that it was one module i would probably never diy!

I didnt realise that Andy did mods and repairs.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

The 138 was actually a deal sweetener, I didnt specifically want it, but out of the module the dude was getting rid of I couldnt find anything else.

Most of the modules werent on my list, but someone part traded them for the Dsi evolver. I was glad to get the cash so I could afford a doepfer diy kit, plus 4 modules that I would need to complete a basic mono synth.
I would have prefered the cash, but now i have made the deal I am happy with it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:do they not tune very well??

quantizers on paper are very specific, tolerances have to be very low.
I took one look at a schematic and decided that it was one module i would probably never diy!

I didnt realise that Andy did mods and repairs.
well its a mod commissioned by Dieter Doepfer, because the top two quantizers are very slightly out with the bottom ones, (ive got two of them) its just within tolerances but no good for me, i'm a fussy bastard, so andy's fitting a balance trimmer between them so they can be the same exactly,
yes andy does weild a soldering iron, if its in warranty, he'll be the one fixing it.

doepfer told me to take it into the shop to have a look at, and i think if it works andy will have it listed as a possible mod.
Last edited by steevio on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:The 138 was actually a deal sweetener, I didnt specifically want it, but out of the module the dude was getting rid of I couldnt find anything else.

Most of the modules werent on my list, but someone part traded them for the Dsi evolver. I was glad to get the cash so I could afford a doepfer diy kit, plus 4 modules that I would need to complete a basic mono synth.
I would have prefered the cash, but now i have made the deal I am happy with it.
you'll probably find out that it's all the modules you didnt choose at first that are the ones you need eventually.
polarization is something you dont think of at first, but just think of the wacky CVs that come out of the 138 from say a mix of different waves from an LFO, or a mixture of LFO's and EGs - polarized in different directions.

the first thing you'll learn is that CVs are where its at !
and all the things you imagined modular was about, ie building traditional synth architectures will be the first things to go out the wiindow.

but saying that, you have to have a basic starting point, something to build on, and thats what you've got there....
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I can't wait to set it all up! I have some interest in my Sixtrak, so I'm looking at other modules now. (getting ahead of myself! (-) )

Steevio, your flightcase looks custom. Did you build it?

I toyed with the idea of making a beautiful hardwood case, but now I am gonna get a custom flightcase for it. I have a rough plan now I need to get some quotes...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@lem

if you're going to make up some multiples bro, make them switched multiples.

i dont use ordinary multiples, but ive got loads of switched multiples, the doepfer design is perfect, just 8 switches that can be 1 / off / or 2

you can combine triggers etc in different combinations, send them to different places etc.. just with a flick of a switch, they are the most useful modules i've got, absolutely essential for live to avoid repatching and to make sudden wholesale changes to your trigger/cv routings.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:@lem

if you're going to make up some multiples bro, make them switched multiples.

i dont use ordinary multiples, but ive got loads of switched multiples, the doepfer design is perfect, just 8 switches that can be 1 / off / or 2

you can combine triggers etc in different combinations, send them to different places etc.. just with a flick of a switch, they are the most useful modules i've got, absolutely essential for live to avoid repatching and to make sudden wholesale changes to your trigger/cv routings.
I was planning on making switched multiples with attenuators on them aswell. I haven't really worked out the hp.
Do you need any more switched mult's?