number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:
yacek wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:My friend just got his statement back from Beatport. He managed to get a track at number 4 in the Deep House charts, which amounted to 1018 units sold of one track! Fucking loads that..
How does that work, lol... does the label get the statements or should the individual be receiving them... I did a remix that was featured in a number of online stores (including Beatport) and I haven't gotten any $$ for it, and I know people have bought it because I had some of my friends purchase it that enjoy it as well as myself.
Depends how much the label will show you (or if you have your own label)...
Totally. Regarding your remix you should of either recieved a one off fee or perhaps in some cases labels might offer 50/50 of say units sold of your digital track (if were talking about beatport here)

Just for future refernce I would advise sorting that out before your remix came out. Just to let you know what I do is, I send label mp3 first if they want the Wav then they arrange payment then I send it to them.

Payment from Beatport depends on the label and what deal they have. For FOF (the label I co run) we sold 1034 units this statement and recieved about that back in euros. Thing is with us Intergroove take 20% for the distro, which obviously is a big cut.
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

::BLM:: wrote:Totally. Regarding your remix you should of either recieved a one off fee or perhaps in some cases labels might offer 50/50 of say units sold of your digital track (if were talking about beatport here)

Just for future refernce I would advise sorting that out before your remix came out. Just to let you know what I do is, I send label mp3 first if they want the Wav then they arrange payment then I send it to them.

Payment from Beatport depends on the label and what deal they have. For FOF (the label I co run) we sold 1034 units this statement and recieved about that back in euros. Thing is with us Intergroove take 20% for the distro, which obviously is a big cut.
very helpful, thanks. I usually send off MP3 as demos to labels but with this new EP I want to release I'm going to wait for a contract before I send out the WAVs.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

::BLM:: wrote:Yep Patrick is right. I go through Intergroove so its a little bit different, but I know of other labels where Beatport takes less then 40%.

If I were you Victor I would sack off the other download sites and go exclusive to Beatport. 90% of our sales are from Beatport and if you go exclusive at least Beatport then show an interest in your label and put it in the featured label sections which obviously is going to promote your label. Maybe best to get your distro to contact them though.
which is exactly true. We used to be on 300 sites through a distributor, and finally got an account directly on Beatport. result: although we sold a bit less, we ended up with more money when the BP statements came. Now we are on BP, Djdownload, Junodownload and Digital Tunes directly, and all the rest is done through a distri, I can tell you, it's a totally different picture financially.

Which doesn't mean that we make money , we still lose on every release but at least it's less then before :lol:
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

PsyTox wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Yep Patrick is right. I go through Intergroove so its a little bit different, but I know of other labels where Beatport takes less then 40%.

If I were you Victor I would sack off the other download sites and go exclusive to Beatport. 90% of our sales are from Beatport and if you go exclusive at least Beatport then show an interest in your label and put it in the featured label sections which obviously is going to promote your label. Maybe best to get your distro to contact them though.
which is exactly true. We used to be on 300 sites through a distributor, and finally got an account directly on Beatport. result: although we sold a bit less, we ended up with more money when the BP statements came. Now we are on BP, Djdownload, Junodownload and Digital Tunes directly, and all the rest is done through a distri, I can tell you, it's a totally different picture financially.

Which doesn't mean that we make money , we still lose on every release but at least it's less then before :lol:
Are you a digital only label? If so how are you losing money? Are you getting remixes/special artwork?
staefn

Post by staefn »

I live in Australia, and I use to buy about 10-20tracks a week between beatport and junodownload.

But this was at the time when my $1AUD was giving me .93c USD.
Ever since our dollar went downhill, i'm not getting around .60c USD. so i'm paying an extra 30% for all the tracks I buy!
Because of this I can't buy as much music as I use to- now i'm only buying around 5 tracks a week at most because a track that was costing me $2.50AUD is now costing me $3.75AUD, for that kind of money i could buy myself dinner! and to think that every song i buy, i could buy a large meal; I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a digital download.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

staefn wrote:I live in Australia, and I use to buy about 10-20tracks a week between beatport and junodownload.

But this was at the time when my $1AUD was giving me .93c USD.
Ever since our dollar went downhill, i'm not getting around .60c USD. so i'm paying an extra 30% for all the tracks I buy!
Because of this I can't buy as much music as I use to- now i'm only buying around 5 tracks a week at most because a track that was costing me $2.50AUD is now costing me $3.75AUD, for that kind of money i could buy myself dinner! and to think that every song i buy, i could buy a large meal; I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a digital download.
Wow, food is cheap in Australia!
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

patrick bateman wrote:Wow, food is cheap in Australia!
hah...I was thinking the same...
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

i live in australia as well, some food is cheap some is not. :)
I have found myself buying less tracks off beatport since i started listening to the beatport podcast from itunes.. which is about 2 months ago.. i only buy songs now and again these days.. whereas in the past i would buy about 2-5 tracks a week. i find the podcast gives me my electro/minimal/prog fix for the week (even though they're not full tracks) but they keep me going for a week then its time to download the next batch of new stuff the following week.. it does get repetitive though because its only promoted tracks.. half of which are overhyped crap.. but oh well