modular etc etc

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:I can't wait to set it all up! I have some interest in my Sixtrak, so I'm looking at other modules now. (getting ahead of myself! (-) )

Steevio, your flightcase looks custom. Did you build it?

I toyed with the idea of making a beautiful hardwood case, but now I am gonna get a custom flightcase for it. I have a rough plan now I need to get some quotes...
posted at the same time there,

i got mine custom built by;
http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/index.asp

but me and oblioblioblio got some made up at the same time, but i think mark found his to be too big, maybe he wants to sell it, and ive got 2 spare cases, because i got another custom one built that was the same two cases but in one case so that i didnt have to patch the cases together for live gigs which was taking too long to set up.
but they are 18 U
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:
steevio wrote:@lem

if you're going to make up some multiples bro, make them switched multiples.

i dont use ordinary multiples, but ive got loads of switched multiples, the doepfer design is perfect, just 8 switches that can be 1 / off / or 2

you can combine triggers etc in different combinations, send them to different places etc.. just with a flick of a switch, they are the most useful modules i've got, absolutely essential for live to avoid repatching and to make sudden wholesale changes to your trigger/cv routings.
I was planning on making switched multiples with attenuators on them aswell. I haven't really worked out the hp.
Do you need any more switched mult's?
i think you'd be better off with seperate attenuators, and better still offset gen/polarisers (like the A183-2) but they arent passive of course.
you need attenuators all over the place, its best that they are movable and small. i have a 4 way att. and its annoying to have patchcords draped all over the place just to go to that one place. the doepfer dual atts are perfect

yes i need more switched multiples, i cant get enough, going to buy another one from EMIs tomorrow
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I'm not sure about buying 2nd hand cases. I am on a massive bender of trying to save space at the moment.
I was going to build an 18u case like a briefcase with 9u in the lid and 9u in the base.

I don't really want to buy a case only to have to sell it if I move to a smaller place.
Space is one of the reasons I am selling so much of my gear. It would be much more conveniant to have it all in a briefcase type thing.

Was it expensive from flightcase warehouse? (if you don't mind me asking)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:I'm not sure about buying 2nd hand cases. I am on a massive bender of trying to save space at the moment.
I was going to build an 18u case like a briefcase with 9u in the lid and 9u in the base.

I don't really want to buy a case only to have to sell it if I move to a smaller place.
Space is one of the reasons I am selling so much of my gear. It would be much more conveniant to have it all in a briefcase type thing.

Was it expensive from flightcase warehouse? (if you don't mind me asking)
i'm not sure the folding thing ends up any smaller, because you have to leave room above the modules so you can leave your cords in if you've got a semi-permanent patch set up, or for gigs. its only smaller when youre carrying it.

not trying to sell you a case bro, i was just going to keep them for future expansion, but why wouldnt you want a second-hand case ? surely thats the cheapest way by far ?

my 36 U case was £350, the 18U s were about £200 each as far as i remember, i could probably let one go for about £140. theyre good quality cases, already drilled for the doepfer Kit, theyre slightly deeper than they need to be, but that was intentional so i could stick effects and stuff in the top half when ididnt have enough modules to fill it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I changed my cases because lots of my modules are in Frac or Wiard 300 series format, which were too deep for the case that I had. I'm still at 18u but now I have these 2 really deep Gator cases with rack strip on the front and back, and on one I have a really high quality dual PSU attached to the back of the case.

I also found that the rack strip on the custom cases that I had were a bit sloppy with their tolerances. Maybe the one I got the builder was having a bit of an off day. It wasn't too much of a problem for most stuff but I have a module that is just a 2u 19" metal panel and when I had it in the case I couldn't secure it properly without being slightly twisted.

Luckily some 7 year old chinese kids managed to do a better job on my new cases. (although still not perfect). (oh how I wish i was joking, unfortunately there weren't any affordable alternatives)

The custom cases are worth looking into. Very well designed for live use IMO.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I only don't want to buy a case incase I upgrade I will basically have something that takes up a lot of room that I will then have to sell, if that makes sense?

If I buy something of any considerable size I want it to be perfect for my needs. I would rather not have one and save until I can get something exact. But you are right it would be cheaper.

I was going to account for room for the patch cables when it folds. Thats another reason I didn't want stackables, although I am going to account for 1 level of stackables in my design.
The advantage to it folding is that its perfect for public transport and if I haven't got space to have it permenantly setup somewhere. I have at the moment but that could change at any time.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I don't like stackcables.

-smurf
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Getting a custom case wasn't on my list of things I have to do right away. I was going to take some time over the design and wait until I have enough money to get it right.