number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

kwality wrote:This is the most enlightening thread I've come across on mnml - thanks to everyone who's chimed in!

I'd love to know how much Beatport are charging for banners on the site. I've been lead to believe they get results but I can't for the life of me figure out how much they are.

And to all those who've said beatport is the main player, who are the next top hitters? And does it hurt to have it spread out all over the place? I've never been a huge fan of Beatport to be honest, but I'm willing to accept they're the big boys for digital downloads.

Also, what sort of numbers are people seeing if they release exclusive on Beatport for X amount of time, and then uploading to other stores - is it a second wind or a mere trickle?

Cheers again everyone!
Hey Kwality, I picked up "Downpour" on Juno. Nice tune.

If you're the same quality..lol.
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

Phase Ghost wrote:
kwality wrote:This is the most enlightening thread I've come across on mnml - thanks to everyone who's chimed in!

I'd love to know how much Beatport are charging for banners on the site. I've been lead to believe they get results but I can't for the life of me figure out how much they are.

And to all those who've said beatport is the main player, who are the next top hitters? And does it hurt to have it spread out all over the place? I've never been a huge fan of Beatport to be honest, but I'm willing to accept they're the big boys for digital downloads.

Also, what sort of numbers are people seeing if they release exclusive on Beatport for X amount of time, and then uploading to other stores - is it a second wind or a mere trickle?

Cheers again everyone!
Hey Kwality, I picked up "Downpour" on Juno. Nice tune.

If you're the same quality..lol.
Haha, yeah that's me! Thanks so much for picking it up, I really appreciate that... maybe I'll manage to sell some on there and give everyone here the figures - I don't think they'll be too startling, but I'm absolutely stoked to hear some people think it's worth some coin!
youandewan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

My sales

Post by youandewan »

I just received my statements for Q1/2/3 and sold over 850 copies during this time.

The bestselling track hit no.1 on the Beatport Chill Out chart and a re-release made no.14 in Deep House.
However, it failed to make it into the main top 100.
It also hit many other genre charts on Djdownload/Juno/Trackitdown but ofcourse Beatport is 80% of the market (so I have been told).

With my label deal being the standard 50/50 I was still pretty disappointed to discover that I had only made £170 UK Pound Sterling due to the exchange rate from USdollars and most download shops being based in the US.

It's a shame because I really was expecting more. I'm making double this for just doing remixes and DJ'ing.

It seams unless your pumping out big big commercial tunes, making a living through sales alone is an unrealistic idea.

I know my EP was blogged and did the rapidshare/zippyshare/cnt/fck my life rounds on all those sites and maybe I've missed out on a few hundreds sales at least....but even so, I'm guessing a Beatport no.1 on the main chart is probably somewhere between 2000 to 4000 sales at the most...?

Still living in the Uk that would only make me a grand or so...

It's a hard knock life!

Ewan
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Beatport main chart top 10, I believe is still 4000+ and up to get there.

but you can do the math yourself.
the label has a 65/35 deal with beatport, if they go through a digital distributor, then they take somewhere between 20-30% of the 65 they got from Beatport and then you have to make a 50/50 split of the rest.
youandewan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by youandewan »

Yeah I wasn't up to speed in regards to beatport's cut. It does make sense...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: My sales

Post by ::BLM:: »

youandewan wrote:I just received my statements for Q1/2/3 and sold over 850 copies during this time.

The bestselling track hit no.1 on the Beatport Chill Out chart and a re-release made no.14 in Deep House.
However, it failed to make it into the main top 100.
It also hit many other genre charts on Djdownload/Juno/Trackitdown but ofcourse Beatport is 80% of the market (so I have been told).

With my label deal being the standard 50/50 I was still pretty disappointed to discover that I had only made £170 UK Pound Sterling due to the exchange rate from USdollars and most download shops being based in the US.

It's a shame because I really was expecting more. I'm making double this for just doing remixes and DJ'ing.

It seams unless your pumping out big big commercial tunes, making a living through sales alone is an unrealistic idea.

I know my EP was blogged and did the rapidshare/zippyshare/cnt/fck my life rounds on all those sites and maybe I've missed out on a few hundreds sales at least....but even so, I'm guessing a Beatport no.1 on the main chart is probably somewhere between 2000 to 4000 sales at the most...?

Still living in the Uk that would only make me a grand or so...

It's a hard knock life!

Ewan
You only made £170 for 850 units being sold? That simply doesn’t make sense. Note sure what deal you have, but you should be getting more then that. You should be getting around the 700 euro mark (I say Euros as my distro is Intergroove and that’s what they pay me in)

The main chart is still 4000+, which of course would be lovely. It is possible you just need to have a little bit of luck.

If you sign to a label pushing good units you would receive a healthy amount of money. I know some friends who work for decent underground house labels and they are getting like getting 2k per release. There are some labels still pushing 3000+ units so once you get on them the money will start to come.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

850 sold mp3's

let's say half at the high price
and half at the cheaper price

425 @ 2 euro = 850 euro
425 @ 1.5 euro = 637 euro
Total = 1.487 (plus wav sales)

after Beatport cut label has around 950 euro
and then it's probably a 50/50 split with the artist, so around 425 euro which is around 375 British silver coins.

So 170 sounds a bit low for 850 sold mp3's
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

thanks everyone for sharing this very private information and knowledge.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest