someone else

- open
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

pheek wrote:
jay haze wrote:to cyhl---

there was many people involved in that sound that you say someonelse created...
I hear you. I mean, I think no one really invented anything, its just logic continuity of some ideas we had by listening to something we thought inspiring 8)

i always said, if anyone invented something in electronic music it's autechre.
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

don't get me wrong, I never meant to say that sean invented any new musical style, or anything whatsoever... I'm not insane!!!!

if you want, I'm kinda saying sean has consolidated his own personality, music-wise, which makes his tracks recognizable...
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

plaster wrote:
pheek wrote:

I hear you. I mean, I think no one really invented anything, its just logic continuity of some ideas we had by listening to something we thought inspiring 8)

however, you can't say that either in my opinion... check older experimental/tape music from the 60 and 70'ies. check louis + bebe barron etc. Not to take anything from autechre, I love them - but just to put that comment in perspective. :) ... and ofcourse this can be rooted back even further, terry riley, john cage.. etc. - the list goes on & on.
butane
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by butane »

I heard Someone Else actually invented the internet.

Cyhl - can you confirm or deny?
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Didn't Al Gore invent the internet?
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

butane wrote:I heard Someone Else actually invented the internet.

Cyhl - can you confirm or deny?
let me get drunk and decide how to answer this later!

:lol:
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

fredrik_h wrote:
plaster wrote:
pheek wrote:

however, you can't say that either in my opinion... check older experimental/tape music from the 60 and 70'ies. check louis + bebe barron etc. Not to take anything from autechre, I love them - but just to put that comment in perspective. :) ... and ofcourse this can be rooted back even further, terry riley, john cage.. etc. - the list goes on & on.
i was speaking about modern electronic music and means of usage.
ParanoidDancer
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by ParanoidDancer »

The first few someone else records I heard (mostly stuff on (un)foundsound) were really groundbreaking for me personally. It was something I hadn't heard before. Foundsound 2 was probably my favourite record of last year.

After that someone else seemed to stay in a certain musical place with his records and remixes that I do like. But to me and some other people all his records start to sound alike. He just seems to give his remixes the "someone else" treatment and thats it.

In my opinion he should do new things that build upon the things he has allready done. He is not the only artist that should move on. Many artist tend to keep making the same tracks because they had some succes with that. I think an artist his music will only be interesting if he comes up with new concepts. This is especially the case with electronic music because of its repetitive nature. Looking for something different is something that I think made minimalistic music so popular over the last few years.

That's just the way I look at it..