Detroit and spaces Synths

- ask away
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

If you want to sound like Detroit you should buy a rompler with a decent piano preset and woodshed for a couple years.

I find it funny that everybody asks about synths and nobody ever asks about how to write better music.
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ec50 »

lot of bs in this topic...

New Guy - where do i start..... you're way off.
1) way off with the minimonsta - is a great synth - you obviously don't know how to use it.
2) NI are the only products cpapable of producing those sounds? wtf.?!
3) the MNML synth??? never come across it - but using presets which emulate other successful producers sounds sounds inherently wrong to me... in fact, its gay.

S - i completely agree - thats what it is about - experimentation and tweaking settings - fck around and see what you come up with - not only is this the way to develop your own sound - it FUN. its what making music is about.

and Torque: AMEN - "Detroit is a discipline, not a preset".
presets don't make good music... good production does.

producers nowadays have a immense wealth of diversity in plugin instruments which emulate every synth, drum machine etc out there - yet there is sooo much cheese out there... its not the equipment you use - its what you get out of it.

stop trying to copy the gaiser drums - its been done. by gaiser.
stop trying to copy the minilogue bass - its been done. by minilogue.
stop trying to copy the whignomy synths - its been done. by whignomy.
see the pattern here??

max

E C 5 0
"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

jpls wrote:
plaster wrote:

It's called an 808 drum machine by Roland with grain delay fx on top. :wink:
try again ;)
Peanut butter and jelly?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

ec50 wrote:lot of bs in this topic...

New Guy - where do i start..... you're way off.
1) way off with the minimonsta - is a great synth - you obviously don't know how to use it.
2) NI are the only products cpapable of producing those sounds? wtf.?!
3) the MNML synth??? never come across it - but using presets which emulate other successful producers sounds sounds inherently wrong to me... in fact, its gay.

E C 5 0
:lol:
lol, you guys obviously missed the sarcasm in my post. The mnml synth is a mockery that i think Hydrogen created here.

And about minimonsta, i love it , i own it. :lol:

I think i should have used smileys in that comment for the sarcasm to be seen more clearly. :lol:

There you go MNML synth:
http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... mnml+synth
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

yes new guy definitively needs some sarcasm icons and someone else needs a bit more of humor here :shock:
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Torque wrote:I'm sorry but i have to jump in on this one, i can't resist.

If you think that you can simply reproduce the sound of Detroit techno by learning what synths they used you are smokin' crack rocks.

The thing that makes Detroit techno sound the way it does has nothing to do with the synths and has everything to do with the mood of the music. Everybody was using the same equipment to make techno from the beginning all over the world but yet nobody sounded like Detroit cats really except Detroit cats. You can make any synth in the world sound like a Detroit Techno kind of synth if you play it like they do.

Detroit is a discipline, not a preset.

Some of those guys back in the day used nothing but a casio a 909 and a 4 track tascam. Others used nothing but a Korg Mono/Poly and a 4 track reel to reel. I never really mattered.

If you want to make a real impact then your best bet would be to find something that nobody else uses and become the master of it.

and big up for the wisdom expressed here
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

If you think that you can simply reproduce the sound of Detroit techno by learning what synths they used you are smokin' crack rocks.

The thing that makes Detroit techno sound the way it does has nothing to do with the synths and has everything to do with the mood of the music. Everybody was using the same equipment to make techno from the beginning all over the world but yet nobody sounded like Detroit cats really except Detroit cats. You can make any synth in the world sound like a Detroit Techno kind of synth if you play it like they do.

Some of those guys back in the day used nothing but a casio a 909 and a 4 track tascam. Others used nothing but a Korg Mono/Poly and a 4 track reel to reel. I never really mattered.

If you want to make a real impact then your best bet would be to find something that nobody else uses and become the master of it.
+1 all the way !!!

there are no detroit synths, there are just synths.
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

steevio wrote:

+1 all the way !!!

there are no detroit synths, there are just synths.
+2. I'll never understand this urge to reproduce what's gone before...

What's wrong with just sitting down with a synth and a sampler, and see what comes out of the process? fck rules and guidelines and history :roll: