How important is a midi keyboard?

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

ewinz wrote:49 is enough ? or 61 + ?
I do fine with 49. It gets a little spendy to get more keys than that if you want slides and knobs and everything
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

miniMAL_420 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. Seems I will get a keyboard in the end.
Any brands I should pay special attention to?
Any more tips regarding specific functions the keyboard should have?
Thanks.
I have the M Audio Oxygen 49. It is a smokin deal and I have never had a single problem with it. has some slides knobs and other buttons and such as well. The only thing I dont like about it is the feel of the keys. If you can afford it get something with weighted keys if not then Id recomend the oxygen 49 unless you like spending lots of money.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

definitely get a midi keyboard. the more keys the better. I've got an Evolution. I don't see myself ever wanting to get rid of it or change it. cheap and perfect.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

get one with 61+ keys, aftertouch, and two wheels (pitch bend and modulation) and avoid the ones with too much gadgets (use the controller and your soundcard instead).
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

I would recommend buying a digital piano or synth and working on that for a year before I even worry about turning on a computer.

If you don't know anything about writing or playing music how are you going to make anything worthwhile? It is like trying to be a novelist without ever having a passion for reading, a decent vocabulary or a background in any kind of creative writing.

I am not trying to be mean or hateful, just offering some honest advice. If you are just going to fool around in your bedroom, then just plunk around on the computer. If you want to make something unique and that will last, you might want to learn about music before you start producing.

You don't need to be Beethoven, but a year spent learning chords, scales, rhythms, chord progressions and key changes are going to help you so much. Paying dues now isn't fun or flashy, but it will pay huge dividends a few years down the road.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

and again I am not trying to be mean. I wish someone had convinced me to learn music a decade ago. I would be so much further ahead, learn from my mistake.
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

Martian Telecom wrote:I would recommend buying a digital piano or synth and working on that for a year before I even worry about turning on a computer.

If you don't know anything about writing or playing music how are you going to make anything worthwhile? It is like trying to be a novelist without ever having a passion for reading, a decent vocabulary or a background in any kind of creative writing.

I am not trying to be mean or hateful, just offering some honest advice. If you are just going to fool around in your bedroom, then just plunk around on the computer. If you want to make something unique and that will last, you might want to learn about music before you start producing.

You don't need to be Beethoven, but a year spent learning chords, scales, rhythms, chord progressions and key changes are going to help you so much. Paying dues now isn't fun or flashy, but it will pay huge dividends a few years down the road.
I see your point and agree to it. But at the moment all im looking for is to try it out just to see how it goes. If I ever think I am heading anywhere serious then I will consider learning music theory.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

miniMAL_420 wrote:
Martian Telecom wrote:I would recommend buying a digital piano or synth and working on that for a year before I even worry about turning on a computer.

I see your point and agree to it. But at the moment all im looking for is to try it out just to see how it goes. If I ever think I am heading anywhere serious then I will consider learning music theory.
You can always split your time through learning and applying as well. Thats what I did and still do. About every three weeks Ill take a week off of making music and do some studying of something new about music. Then Ill apply it when I go back to making it.