bassline tips

- ask away
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Martian Telecom wrote:Let your kick sit around 40-120hz, and let the bass line sit above 120hz.

Also, shorten the envelopes on your bass patch and write around your kick patterns. You have to give the speaker an opportunity to rest so that it can push air.
but 40-60 hz is where my sub bass is...

I would high pass the kick at like 80, and lp the sub bass at like 90-100, then fix as needed...
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

livecollective wrote: but 40-60 hz is where my sub bass is...

I would high pass the kick at like 80, and lp the sub bass at like 90-100, then fix as needed...
High pass your kick at 80? I thought the "click-kick" was an old thing to do by now.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Maiyal wrote:

High pass your kick at 80? I thought the "click-kick" was an old thing to do by now.
i must admit i use this technique to produce a different style of music. And when I do its anything but a "click-kick".

I just found it curious people doing the opposite. A bassline above 120 isn't deep enough for my taste. Preferably I wouldn't have to fck with either the bass or the kick as they would fit in the rhythm at different times.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Maiyal wrote:

:shock:

i wouldn't high pass my bass at 25Hz. high passing bass is the worse thing you can do.

33Hz is the orgasm note.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

tone-def wrote:
Maiyal wrote:

:shock:

i wouldn't high pass my bass at 25Hz. high passing bass is the worse thing you can do.

33Hz is the orgasm note.
+1 :)
lazerslut
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lazerslut »

geeeeeeez...it all depends!
sure..sometimes a low cut at 25Hz is totally ok!
the point is to let either the kick or the bassline be the one to rumble. not both
(at least not in the same frequency)

it's so important the way the bassline is played (on note with kickdrum or not etc.), if a sidechain is necessary or not, what type of kick and bassline....

use ears and don't let bass & kick fight each other!

:-flower

p.s. i would NEVER HP my kick at 80Hz...ridicolous! it's still a "kick" after all.
to suggest to let the bassline ONLY BE ABOVE 120Hz is not good either...
don't always completely seperate at a certain border. there's also free space(s) inbetween, let's say 30 and 150Hz that can be used by either one or the other...find them and boost/cut wisely.

oh and in my experience, these subbass problems (in case the bassline is really deep) is very often somewhere between 40-70Hz. maybe cut a little bit with a BELL EQ (no need to completely cut everything below with a HP filter)

cheers
miro
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Martian Telecom wrote:. You have to give the speaker an opportunity to rest so that it can push air.
Drum and bass producers would argue otherwise!

Try your kick fundamental at 50 hz, and the fundamental of your bassline root note at 100 hz.They will lock as they are musically related by an integer.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the only time i would have bass at 120hz is if i had a massive 808 style kick filling out the bottom.

i tried all this high passing the kick and bass and the only thing it did was remove the warmth. now i leave the kick and bass how i recorded them. maybe i'll put a little notch in the bass where the kick is and then sidechain with a CLEAN compressor. you bass will sound so much warmer and natural. if your worried about frequencies you can hear or feel then use a cut with a 6db slope. these frequencies don't eat up lots of headroom. just check your level meters as you do it. if there is a problem and something is going on down there, you will probably sort it out by turning your bass down a bit or the mastering engineer will sort it out.