Anyone switch from Cubase (or any DAW) to using ableton??

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

not a logic user, so what is ghost clips?
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

you have a clip and make ghost copies of that which you use somewhere else in the arrangement. if you change the original clip the ghost copys also change. very handy for different stuff.
live is made for playing live. not for serious production ;)
funny thing is immediatly i work with live for a liveset my cubase tracks get this strange livesoundengine sound i dont like.
techno made me do it
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

tone-def wrote:
regler wrote:the routing, effects handling are just too good in ableton. and there are often very simple direct solutions for missing functions in cubase you don't see at first.
could you expand on this a little more. why is ableton's routing better than cubase? effects handling?
you have almost free routing in ableton like in a modular environment and it's easier to do. you can just take the out from a track as a input from other tracks. in cubase you have to create a group first and take the group as an input. and you can route midi in ableton too.

I also love it that you can change the routing for all tracks you have selected and not only for one like in cubase.

example: route 9 tracks to a group, in cubase that means to change it 9 times individually. in ableton you select all tracks you want and change it just for one and you're done

the effect handling is kind of modular too. you could do wet/dry controlls for every effect with effect-racks. it's more like you build your own "macro" effects in live then using an insert effect. it's easy to copy effects (control + drag) to other tracks. want to low pass a reverb? just but an eq after it and make a rack from it. I don't want to miss this freedom and I'm much faster. Try to sidechain a reverb in cubase and ableton, I need max. half of the time for that in ableton.

in cubase you have 8 insert slots, that's it. you could expend it with groups of course, but that's too much clutter for me.

cubase has many points that I like better, but the most important parts you need in practice are better for me in ableton (and I do use the arrange view most of the time). I wish I could take the best parts from both of them. :-)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

deccard wrote:you have a clip and make ghost copies of that which you use somewhere else in the arrangement. if you change the original clip the ghost copys also change. very handy for different stuff.
instancing. yup wish live had this feature... but no big deal to me. i'm thinking less templates the better. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

seems like something, with an extra step or two, could be worked around in live. you can always duplicate any clip/bar/loop/etc and make the changes and then just put them where you'd want them. *shrugs* but i will admit ghost clips seem pretty intuitive.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

regler wrote: example: route 9 tracks to a group, in cubase that means to change it 9 times individually. in ableton you select all tracks you want and change it just for one and you're done
There is a shortcut for this in cubase you know.
In the project window.
Create a group track. Then select all the tracks you want to route to this group track by holding down CTRL+SHIFT and then just set OUT to the groups track you created earlier. Voila, easy and fast. And you don't have to dck around with routing every single track individually.

(this taken from the cubase manual btw.)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

deccard wrote:you have a clip and make ghost copies of that which you use somewhere else in the arrangement. if you change the original clip the ghost copys also change. very handy for different stuff.
Okay, sounds like a nice feature, could be handy for sure.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

New Guy wrote:
regler wrote: example: route 9 tracks to a group, in cubase that means to change it 9 times individually. in ableton you select all tracks you want and change it just for one and you're done
There is a shortcut for this in cubase you know.
In the project window.
Create a group track. Then select all the tracks you want to route to this group track by holding down CTRL+SHIFT and then just set OUT to the groups track you created earlier. Voila, easy and fast. And you don't have to dck around with routing every single track individually.

(this taken from the cubase manual btw.)
thanks, I did't know this one. But as I said a chose ableton over cubase some time ago, so I'm don't try to find solutions for cubase problems anymore. nevertheless, good to know. :-)