processing individual frequencies

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:the best way to have full control of what happens to what frequency is to build your tune from individual frequencies in the first place.
this will give you absolute micro control over everything, rather than treating bands seperately which is quite crude really.

so in other words have a mixer channel for everything right down to individual oscillators. with minimal music this isnt as difficult as it sounds, i do it routinely, and its amazing how much control you can have over the sounds.

its similar to additive synthesis, but you can do it with subtractive synthesizers.

of course this doesnt apply to you if youre using sampling.
Steevio, I think you could do this with a sampler using it as a kind of additive synth. By loading in 'X' amount of individual looped sines ( or whatever ) and ensuring the sampler has enough multiple outs, these waveforms could be tuned to specific frequencies and levels to make up more complex waveforms and each 'partial' could be effected at its own respective individual out.

Anyway, I'm more interested in how you do this with subtractive synthesis, are you using sines to create more complex waveforms and what about tuning? Is this by ear or do you reference to a chart as such?

Quite interested in this topic now. :)
yeah thats exactly what i did on a record i released a few years ago 'Beyondness'
using an A6 Andromeda which can have 32 individually tuned sinewave oscillators at once, and i put each oscillator tuned to a different harmonic on a seperate channel on my mixing desk, then played the tune by fading in and out different bunches of faders with my fingers playing the mixer like a keyboard, each oscillator can have its own EQ, comp, effects etc etc.
and you can just sequence a groove to drive it all.
create your own timbres
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Sounds wicked mate. Def gonna try something like that, cheers for the info. ;)
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

hydrogen wrote:are you using ableton?

you could make a rack of bandpass filters... and then put effects on each output in the rack...
I think the problem was they were trying this approach but found that at the crossover frequncies between each band the overlap was either causing a dip in the frequency response or a bit of a boost.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

I found this frequency divider rack a while ago, which looked useful, but it didn't work in Ableton for me. It gave me an error message saying the preset is broken, or something to that effect. Can anyone get this to work?

http://www.rhythminmind.net/presetblog/ ... udio-rack/
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

hydrogen wrote:are you using ableton?

you could make a rack of bandpass filters... and then put effects on each output in the rack...
I think you are missing the point about transparency, if you do it the way you suggested, and then change the cutoff of one of the band passes, it will not alter the other band passes to maintain the gain (and phase) at the crossover.. you'll end up with some frequencies being boosted where the band pass ranges overlap, and some being cut (where the bands separate).

Maybe it's possible to automate both cutoff freq knobs with a single midi knob, which gives an offset?
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

could you maybe play with a graphic EQ before the band pass filters? Boost the frequencies that are being lost and vice versa? In ableton you could have the EQ first, then the filters in an FX rack?
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

lejockey wrote: when i have done it in the past i was missing the completely transparent part which is what i am after now. it was a topic of discussion on the ableton forum in the past and someone there made a rack http://www.ioav.com/ethios4/SweepableCrossover.adg to accomplish this that i'll be checking out along with the crossover eqs so thanks for that tip oblioblioblio and loopdon!
Been using this rack for some month now. It is totally transparent (tried some null test on it), so it does the job u are looking for