Considering switching to Mac with Logic

- ask away
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

considering your laptop aint new and you wont die next month whats the point buying something old for new price?
its all about the rhythm
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

so that I can get a more complete daw. because its old doesnt really mean its bad, does it?
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

computer are something considered aging they are not synths, yes ofcourse you can take atari and have it sequence your stuff, but i mean you buy a product thats old in time it loses its capabilities and you neeed more power to handle things
its all about the rhythm
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I fully understand what you are saying. I did think like that, I bought a computer for £1500 5(ish) years ago. At the time it was the bomb. I could run the amount of reverbs and synths. But I didn't really use it to its full potential. About a year ago it broke, I replaced bits, sent it away to be fixed. But different things kept going wrong. I admit that it was just a bad experience.
I bought a laptop last year for £400. It runs roughly the same amount of plugins as my old pc did. It runs enough of what I want to use. I can see it lasting a good couple of years yet. Maybe more?
Hence why I now think that I don't really have to have an expensive computer.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

im talking bout mac vs pc , you get twice more when buying pc:))
im not saying buy computer for 1.5k , i myself still have P4 haha but i dont use vsts .. but you could buy a pc with i7 for that price maybe abit more idk the prices in uk that much :) anyway i would go either for pc or for a better performance mac. i would say mac mini for 500 is not good at all
its all about the rhythm
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

P4! thats what I had. lol, no dissing that, great processor. Mine ran quite hot tho, i think they were renound for it.
A decent P4 will run most plugin's fine. Sure you wont be able to run a huge amount of them or maybe not at full polyphony.

I think i7 pc's in the uk cost quite a bit more than £500. I would be concerned about the tempreture of the i7 and noise from all the fans. I can't really comment too much on the i7, I havent really researched it that much.

I get your point. I really don't want to start a Mac vs Pc thread. That wasnt really my intention. I agree that Mac's are very expensive for what you get. I would love a sick pc, but im not too sure about cubase costing so much, then having to buy equivilants of all the plugin's that logic offers for free. The cost seems to mount up, and all so I can get a fast pc that I don't fully use.
With logic it seems that you get twice as much for your money.

Thanks for ur replies!
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

well thatspersonal preference , i ant starting mac vs pc, just thinking that mac mini wont suit your needs in future:)
its all about the rhythm
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

It wasn't really aimed directed at you, it was just incase others joined in and became another pc vs mac thread..
thanks for ur comments man =]