Monitors...

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:There is no way I can save up anymore you see, as I have a family to think about with a limited income. I was tempted to sell my Events, but I guess I could keep them and use two pairs of monitors. I use a lot of freq's around 40Hz (for my dub techno stuff), so I assume it’s a must to have monitors that will go down that far. I just want my mixes to sound better on a variety of speakers and I feel the Events colour the sound too much. I’ll have a track rocking here, play it out and it sounds totally different. The Events also have a bit of weak high end as I often miss unwanted frequencies. I’m going to try some out tomorrow if I have the time, and then go from there.
when i bought my mackies i tried about ten other types of similar monitors in the shop (digtal village in acton) and the Events were easily the worst sounding. the only description i could think of was plasticky. really unpleasant. i didnt like the KRKs either they sounded boxey, and the alesis were weak, pretty much everything else sounded ok, but for the bass and midrange detail, the mackies were king.
i dont have a problem with the bass in my room at all, and i dont have any acoustic treatment, its got alot to do with the dimensions of the room, and positioning of the speakers.

its best to listen to lots of monitors in comparison , then you can really hear the difference, its almost pointless to listen to different peoples different opinions of their own monitors in their own environments, you have to check them all out yourself.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I like the Mackies. I think it's the HR8's that I used when I was at uni. They are nice rounded monitors, but like the Events too big for the room that I am in now. My Events were ok when I was in a bigger space, but now I'm just getting swamped with bass as the room is tiny. Next door has been moaning a lot too, so I feel like it’s time for a change. I’m going to take some of dub stuff to my mates who has the Adams to see how they sound. My friend who has the Adams always makes his music sound so nice, so I’m tempted to dive in and get them.
diego vega
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by diego vega »

Did you consider Yamaha HSM80? They go down to 42hz, and have a LOT of bass. I love mine...
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

Erm...forget Yamaha
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:I like the Mackies. I think it's the HR8's that I used when I was at uni. They are nice rounded monitors, but like the Events too big for the room that I am in now. My Events were ok when I was in a bigger space, but now I'm just getting swamped with bass as the room is tiny. Next door has been moaning a lot too, so I feel like it’s time for a change. I’m going to take some of dub stuff to my mates who has the Adams to see how they sound. My friend who has the Adams always makes his music sound so nice, so I’m tempted to dive in and get them.
the mackies have some fixed EQ adjustments on the back so you don't get bass resonance problems in small rooms. you never know, you might move to a bigger room in a few years time then the adams or dynaudios might be too small.
squonqdm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by squonqdm »

Hola BLM I have the Dyn BM5 passive and some Dyn bm15a'z i got 2nd hand upgrade style.. The BM5'z were ok.. balance of sound translated ok on other systems tho the detail wasnt there.. i get far better mixez out of the bm15a.zz though it'z all progressive coz as you go along u tune in more to sound and see what breaks and what makes it as far as processing..

i think the BM15az dont tell u much in the upper bass area or the lo-mid.. there'z a hole there! :) so i'd like 2 upgrade sometime 2 something more brutally honest and flatter maybe..

i've heard the Adam A7'z briefly and they seemed as though u should get a good mix out of them..

i've heard good reports on the yam hs50 and 80, the Adams and the Focal range.. (i think focal are also JMLab who've had a long standing good reputation in hifi circles..)

if i were in the market for another pair and had your budget i'd check the Adams & Focals and Yams..

i think what ur looking for in a shoot out or audition is which speakers can u hear the most from if that makes sense.. which ones are most honest!

so if u hear 4 speakerssets and one pair u can hear more reverb etc then those should be the ones to get....

or if u can hear on a particular pair that the hatz are sound brittle etc. then that should be a good indicator that ur hearing something nearer the truth!

also if u could get a pair or two at ur ranch, do a coupla mixdowns then see which mixdowns translate best.. would be a good test..

Hope this helpz :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:I like the Mackies. I think it's the HR8's that I used when I was at uni. They are nice rounded monitors, but like the Events too big for the room that I am in now. My Events were ok when I was in a bigger space, but now I'm just getting swamped with bass as the room is tiny. Next door has been moaning a lot too, so I feel like it’s time for a change. I’m going to take some of dub stuff to my mates who has the Adams to see how they sound. My friend who has the Adams always makes his music sound so nice, so I’m tempted to dive in and get them.
the mackies have some fixed EQ adjustments on the back so you don't get bass resonance problems in small rooms. you never know, you might move to a bigger room in a few years time then the adams or dynaudios might be too small.
thats a good thing about the mackies, ive used mine in two entirely different rooms and i managed to get pretty much the same sound out of them by using the different room shape adjustments.
you can also filter the bass at different frequencies, if you want to hear the sub you can run them down to 37 Hz, if thats too much for you, you can set it to 47Hz, and if you want that NS10M effect you can filter at 80 Hz.
i dont understand why people have bass problems with these monitors, ive used 5 different sets of monitors over the years in 4 different studios, and the mackies do the job better than all the rest and are more adaptable by miles, i think the reason people have problems is down to a lack of understanding about acoustics, and most likely monitoring at way too high volumes.
breaktwister
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breaktwister »

Been reading this thread with interest as I have around 600pounds for monitors also. I'm currently using Alesis M1 Mk2 in a small room, I am looking at the BM5As but am concerned about the 50Hz rolloff, the Alesis are quoted at 38Hz. I'm making deep house and need to hear that low end. My room is too small to even think about a separate sub.

I'm also looking at the Mackie MR8, Fostex PM1 Mk2 and a lot of folks on another forum recommend the KRK 6s or 8s which come in well under budget at 300 and 400 pounds (pair).

Are most monitors in the #600 price range significantly better than the Alesis?