isolation pads

- ask away
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

damagedgoods wrote: Given the choice between being able to hear what's going on with a really uneven response, or not being able to hear it at all, I'd pick the former, but I know a lot of people who would rather use smaller monitors so the messy low frequencies won't distract them. Either way, it's more or less the same problem - the solution is sort out your room. ;)
If you have a really uneven response, how can you hear what's going on?
It's like trying to paint while wearing tinted glasses.
Agree with your last comment though.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

twisted-space wrote:
damagedgoods wrote: Given the choice between being able to hear what's going on with a really uneven response, or not being able to hear it at all, I'd pick the former, but I know a lot of people who would rather use smaller monitors so the messy low frequencies won't distract them. Either way, it's more or less the same problem - the solution is sort out your room. ;)
If you have a really uneven response, how can you hear what's going on?
It's like trying to paint while wearing tinted glasses.
Agree with your last comment though.
Yeah, but I'd rather paint with tinted glasses than with my eyes closed!
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Refloating this subject. I've bought the auralex isolation mopads and didnt notice that much of a difference, a tiny bit less of reverberation on the desk but that's it. So im thinking of buying a pair of monitor stands. I've com across those ones: http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_bs500_set.htm.
Any other recommendation?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

blizt wrote:Refloating this subject. I've bought the auralex isolation mopads and didnt notice that much of a difference, a tiny bit less of reverberation on the desk but that's it. So im thinking of buying a pair of monitor stands. I've com across those ones: http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_bs500_set.htm.
Any other recommendation?
what where you expecting them to do? all isolation pads do is stop your monitors vibrating against the desk, which makes sound.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

I picked up a set of Iso Pads 2nd hand (still in packaging) for €10.

The Thomann T Akustik ones.

Made an unreal difference to my room.

The boom is gone from where I sit. Lower layers have never been more clear.

Now, if you walk around the room, or stick your head in the corner, you'll still think you're being mugged.. but its definitely added an increased clarity, which wasnt there before.

Think if your room is less than ideal, you need all the help you can get. Mine is 3.3m x 3.3m. Its fine with all the stuff I have in it.

Those pads are pretty cheap too - the ones from Thomann anyway, so its not too much off a leap of faith.
klankeffect
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by klankeffect »

i just got a pair of primacoustic recoil stabilators, they do a nice job but didn't what i was aspecting, so idd stands + those pads will be nice.
i think also to not underestimate the verberation of the desk comming from the sound itselves, even when its decouppled. some small acoustic treatment is wanted.
lessizmoremoreizless
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

ICN wrote:I picked up a set of Iso Pads 2nd hand (still in packaging) for €10.

The Thomann T Akustik ones.

Made an unreal difference to my room.
no, they did nothing to your room. they simply stopped your desk vibrating under your monitors, which distorts the sound.
ICN wrote:The boom is gone from where I sit. Lower layers have never been more clear.

Now, if you walk around the room, or stick your head in the corner, you'll still think you're being mugged.. but its definitely added an increased clarity, which wasnt there before.
yes they work but do nothing to standing waves. some pads under your speakers will not magically stop sound reflecting of walls.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Still brilliant. Cant explain that away!! LOL ;)