mbase 11

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sorry to bump this up again, but i'm in the process of possibly buying an mbase 11,

so to Jobannaught ;

reading between the lines, youre saying that the analogue pot is selecting settings which lie between the digital readout increments ?

this is what i'd expect, its not that the analogue pot should be more accurate, its more that the digital readout resolution is too low, this is normal on analogue gear with digital readouts, ( or digital gear with digital readouts for that matter )

basically all i want to be able to do is tune the kick very accurately, as only a slight deviation in tuning can really mess up your bottom end if it clashes with bass. i can tune the rest of my modular very accurately using my ears, i just want the kick the same. this is impossible on the mbase 01, and is the only reason i would buy an mbase 11, all the other stuff like LFOs etc doesnt interest me, i just want phat tuned kicks.

i just want to be sure that analogue pot is doing a purely analogue job, and when you save a kick, i dont want it rounded up to the nearest digital increment on the screen, as i want to be able to switch between kicks during a live performance.
so how accurate are the saved settings ?
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

interesting question, will have to try out when im at home. I have bought the mbase about 4 weeks ago, so my experience is limited. i think ill just try one of my current projects, fine tune the kick, note down the exact Hz, save it, reboot and reload and look if its still exactly the same......

but frankly i dont get your initial problem. the mbase uses an internal digital resolution of 256 steps for a range of three octaves, so it should be possible to fine tune it, even if the tuning is stepped???
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'm going to make a vermona kick demo over the weekend so you can get an idea of how it sounds.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

jobbanaught wrote: but frankly i dont get your initial problem. the mbase uses an internal digital resolution of 256 steps for a range of three octaves, so it should be possible to fine tune it, even if the tuning is stepped???
thats way way too coarse for my ears bro.

its why i dont get on with digital gear, its got to sing !!!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Malekko Wiard Borg 2 filter at end of a signal chain. just slightly into self oscillation so it's clean/sinusoidal and not nasty.

pretty much the whole lower half of frequency pot covers sub bass range.

maths channel (automate rise/fall if you like) to control in. and something else to key in... maybe some non kick sub bass (e.g. Dub style bass weight).

Roland techno template RIP.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Roland techno template RIP.
bro thats the thud from the bigbang you're talking about ! :)

yeah mate theres a million ways to make a good kick, but i want something thats totally reliable in a live set, which can be changed instantly if necessary to another differently tuned, different sounding kick, maybe 8 times thru the set.

but i agree with you all the same.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i know what you're saying. and totally with modular you need to have a balance with taking risks and things not going totally wrong... annoying dancefloors and/or speaker cones. so i can understand that having a reliable kick is an extremely helpful thing.

i've been having some very good luck from using a filter in that way. Currently my music is more chill out style, but I do think that after working in this way for a while I'll be able to apply the morphing modular no master clock/ no fixed synth architecture into something that might be more techno esque. Maybe using a bit too much optimistic guesswork though!
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

steevio wrote:
jobbanaught wrote: but frankly i dont get your initial problem. the mbase uses an internal digital resolution of 256 steps for a range of three octaves, so it should be possible to fine tune it, even if the tuning is stepped???
thats way way too coarse for my ears bro.

its why i dont get on with digital gear, its got to sing !!!

interesting how different opinions can be, i bought the mbase because i found it nice that you can save patches, which is only possible if you have digital encoders :D

anyway i find the mbase sound damn nice, pure analog kick, lots of parameters, its damn huge imo

gonna make some tests with the encoders and post here