who are your influences?

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Dont think he is referring to artists really, just the way the music hasn't changed much over the years. I have always bought house records for example and someone like Rick Wade has always been in my box. But now there really is no point me even buying his music, because everything he does sounds exactly like the last. It's cool to have your own sound for sure, but there gets to a point where the music isn't moving forward and it just gets boring.

Now in London for example we have all these kids under 22 making music that fuses all the different genres together and its really inspiring. My younger brother makes music and is doing very well and I sat down and listened to some of his stuff over the weekend and it was refreshing to my ears. We need people to push things forward otherwise things become stagnant.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
Now in London for example we have all these kids under 22 making music that fuses all the different genres together and its really inspiring. My younger brother makes music and is doing very well and I sat down and listened to some of his stuff over the weekend and it was refreshing to my ears. We need people to push things forward otherwise things become stagnant.
exactly, thats how music has always evolved.

the people who inspire you, should just be like spices sprinkled on your food, not someone to copy wholesale.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Gill wrote:
tone-def wrote: this is exactly how i feel. i haven't felt this excited about new music since my early days of listening to minimal
Can you direct me to some of the artists you're referring to, in your early days of minimal?
i was really excited about minimal between 2002-2005 and even then i was looking back at older stuff from the mid 90's forward. Akufen, Herbert, Richie Hawtin - DE9 closer to the edit, Perlon, Playhouse, Telegraph, Force Inc, Circus Company, Cynosure, some Trapez stuff and Mathew Jonson.

that DE9 album and Akufen fabric 17 sums it up perfectly.

between 2005-2008 there was still enough of that sound to keep me happy but the M_nus craze had taken over and eventually killed the scene.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

double post
Last edited by ::BLM:: on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

The early Trapez stuff is still my favourite type of music. I played this track out a few weeks ago and it sounded so good still. I have some really great tracks from around this time. Jeff Milligan used to make some properly good music too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES8-4hpg ... re=related
Gill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gill »

tone-def wrote:
Gill wrote:
tone-def wrote: this is exactly how i feel. i haven't felt this excited about new music since my early days of listening to minimal
Can you direct me to some of the artists you're referring to, in your early days of minimal?
i was really excited about minimal between 2002-2005 and even then i was looking back at older stuff from the mid 90's forward. Akufen, Herbert, Richie Hawtin - DE9 closer to the edit, Perlon, Playhouse, Telegraph, Force Inc, Circus Company, Cynosure, some Trapez stuff and Mathew Jonson.

that DE9 album and Akufen fabric 17 sums it up perfectly.

between 2005-2008 there was still enough of that sound to keep me happy but the M_nus craze had taken over and eventually killed the scene.
Very cool, thanks! Lots to check out in there that I haven't heard; some, I have.

Like I said in the post before, I'm going backwards from the present, seeing as I'm just getting excited about techno since the last couple of years. I really like a lot of the stuff I'm hearing, like stuff on the Juno Minimal podcast, etc.

I think this is partially because I'm not jaded, or too much in the know, so I'm not hearing too much Minus or Hawtin or whatever else in newer releases, becuase I haven't articulated that sound in my head as much as many....though I have heard a lot of it. So, it comes off as 'this is cool' not, 'oh my god another fm based blip that establishes the groove'

I do feel that a lot of the 'minimal' these days that orients itself (at least a little) back towards harmony and melody, but using a lot of the techniques for making percussion that the minimal scene introduced (like some of the producers on this forum, such as opuswerk or whoever else), is a relatively new thing....or am I wrong?
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

mainly making deep house, but some of the new cross over stuff thats incorporating dubstep/2step beats and very deep sounding techno/house is definitely getting me excited again, theres only so much deep house producing i can take so its refreshing to hear things that are pricking my ears up again, as things felt a little flat for a while imo and im now incorporating different beats and ideas into my music, past few weeks ive had a spell of just making hip hop on my mpc!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

What exactly is 'deep house'? I always think progressive or tech house and people are like, 'nah man, its deep house'.

Sub genres do my head in cos i am always off the mark with them. How many are there now anyway?

Tech house, tribal house, garage house, electro house, progressive house, deep house, acid house, scouse house, fidget house, ambient house. Im gonna invent a new house sub genre and call it council house, theres just too many to remember, micro house, thats another one. Its nucking futs!