mono synths...

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I was thinking about a novation bass station as it happens as im limited on funds, but just want something other then a vsti.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

my mate has one of them.

nice analogue filter. but oscillators don't sound that much different to software.

interface seemed weird.

i wouldn't.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

For 60 quid you cant moan (thats what i paid for mine) a cv converter built in and full midi spec. Havent experienced the fiddly knob thing and i def dont think its thin. Quite like the sound myself, what i dont like is the distortion on it, the envelopes arent the fastest either and the lfo's take a bit of getting used to. But like i say, for the money i was well happy.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i can't really talk from that much experience on these things. but i have a couple of little thoughts.

i think it can be good to reserve a decent budget for music machines. obviously you gotta keep it realistic, but these are the kind of things that can change your world as a musician. and a good instrument you will keep for life, [excusing the possiblity of unexpected revolutions.]

i think the sh101 is value for money even though the price has gone up. the sound is classic, but without being gimmicky and obvious. Loads of records are completely built around the sound of that thing. Basically perfect from a performance point of view as well.

mono versus poly usually is a really silly way to define a synth. A moog voyager is a polyphonic instrument, but it has between 3 and 5 voices.

An sh101 or a tb303 is monophonic but if you sequence it properly you can get plenty of stuff happening at different frequncies.
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

I picked up a Future Retro XS back in April and can't believe I went so long without a proper analog monosynth. It's done wonders for my creativity and production. Shitloads of knobs, high quality sound, and plenty of options to explore with its semi-modular interface (which I've, admittedly, barely touched yet). I use it for basslines, percussion sounds, FX, and my "jack" sounds. Great all-around synth, and it can emulate the SH-101 quite well when needed (although I don't really look to go there necessarily...) and really, for the price of $1300, it's not much more than a 101, and IMO far more diverse.

I swear by it. It fits in every production I've made since April, and I don't see it leaving my setup any time soon. Check it out (and give my soundcloud page a looksee to hear some examples of it being used).

Also, no worries about potential "age" or service problems. It's a new piece of kit, with modern features, and you get direct, one-on-one support with its creator in Kansas--hard to argue with that!
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

now what would really be brilliant would be if JoMoX made some sort of simple, priceworthy saw/square vco+vcf+ two envelopes thing cheap enough for me to buy brand new and powerful enough to tear walls down...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thefunnel wrote:for the price of $1300, it's not much more than a 101, and IMO far more diverse.
thing is in the UK the XS is more than twice the price of an SH101, (£1100) so its not a fair comparison,
other than that i would agree with you, diversity and semi-modular is cool,

but if you talking about £1100 synths, we are in a different league, a few more hundred quid and you've got a Voyager RME, or even quite a nice little modular set-up.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

how much is the se-1 these days?

Anybody seen those russian synths? Theres a site called, 'museum of soviet synthesizers' where they have loads of audio demos. Wonder what the prices are for those things?