sequentix cirklon

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

In what way are these analog sequencers different? (bearing in mind i havent used them)

Some interesting things were touched upon but werent discussed in depth so im hoping to find out more about how a typical analog sequencer might give rise to patterns and sequences that are not possible with standard sequencing.

Ok, a pendulum type pattern and patterns of different lengths combined for polyrhythmic stuff but a previous post said, 'ways of sequencing chords'. Hows that work and basically and info on what can be achieved would be great.

Heres something else that confused me, i read something about a step value of 60 triggering a middle c note. Is this common to all analog sequencers? What happens if its set to say 59?

Im not getting how things work so probably need to find some good articles on the basics.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@ AK

i dont know if this helps mate, but i'd like to clarify why i believe a modular analogue sequencer is way better than something like this.

all analogue sequencers are different, and what ive found from building my own from modules is that you can come up with totally new ways to sequence, unlike a stand alone unit which is hardwired for typical applications.

as an example i'm currently running sequences which are self-triggering. say ive got a bass pattern, a synth pattern and a percussion pattern, (in reality i would have more like 6 patterns running at once)
i can patch it up so that each pattern runs in different polyrhythms, and when each time a bass and synth pattern occur at the same time, it sends a signal to tell the sequencer to reverse the bass sequence and stop the synth sequence, and at the same time a synth and percussion pattern coincide i could make it start the synth pattern, and change the step length of the percussion pattern and stop the bass pattern. then when the bass and percussion pattern coincide i could put the synth pattern into pendulum mode, fire off a snare hit, stop the synth pattern etc etc etc..... ad infinitum.
if you can imagine this happening with more sounds, and more connections, you can get the most amazing weird jazzy sh!t happening all by itself,

its like organised musical chaos, its not random, but totally logical, and the strength of the effect is governed by how good your patterns are and how they interact, and if you throw in one small change like add one bass note for instance, the whole thing goes off at a tangent because that one small change has a knock on effect right down the chain, but you can work out ways to get back to where you were by say introducing an extra synth note which will do the opposite of adding the bass note etc etc...
its such a holistic way of working. its a blank canvass only limited by your imagination.

i think its impossible to get to these places any other way without alot of hard work, with this system its instantaneous.
you certainly wont get there with a bog standard desktop sequencer.

modular sequencers rock !
trainspotter
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by trainspotter »

ahh the nemo,!! i tried the octopus too, forgot nearly about that one its great a very deep and intuitive in a different way only played briefly on one, was dare i say a little intimidating :)

other sequencers worth a mention signal arts maps http://www.signalarts.ca/ been really curios on trying one out.

great example of crazy analogue sequencer is tip top audio's z8000 http://www.tiptopaudio.com/z8k.php?goto=features

obv. other things to like the Doepfer SchaltWerk, Manikin Schrittmacher Sequencer, Radical Technologies Spectralis * a bit of all in one box *
there is one i cant remember i think made in europe by a company thats also a record label.. huge looking thing white and black version with big bright blue leds.... god names just slipped my mind.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

trainspotter wrote:
great example of crazy analogue sequencer is tip top audio's z8000 http://www.tiptopaudio.com/z8k.php?goto=features
i have a Z8000, its not so crazy on its own, it needs to be part of a modular sequencing set-up. it doesnt output triggers or gates, only CVs.

used in conjunction with some switching or logic modules and a trigger/gate sequencer, and a quantizer its a beast.

most modular sequencers need other modules to bring them to life.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio, that sounds absolutely mad. (in a good way) these events which trigger other things, are they 'programmed' in by yourself with patching? Were you aware of what the outcome beforehand?

I guess the question i was gonna ask has been answered by you in your last post and that was the creative value of an analog seq outside of a modular set up. Im not going the modular route but theres something about analog style sequencing which is exciting me. Thing is, i need to look for that creative potential with midi so that means modern sequencers. Not really up on it all yet but am i right in thinking these new sequencers that combine midi and cv/gate can trigger analog and midi gear in the same rig?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Aside from a modular, I've never used hardware sequencers. The ability to have chords and scales stored to use could be really cool, especially in a live setting. However, if I'm navigating a ton of menus to accomplish anything, I might as well use Logic.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record here beating the modular drum, but sequencing on a modular is unreal. Before I got into this, I knew step sequencers and a linear approach to it all. But now, I have a whole new view on the situation. Like Steevio said, very simple switches, logic modules, clock dividers/multipliers, etc, can simple sequences into complex, mutating, beasts. Not only the sequences themselves, but the way filters are opening, envelopes are being trigged, etc. It can controlled and unpredictable at once.

Again, sorry for the hijack.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:steevio, that sounds absolutely mad. (in a good way) these events which trigger other things, are they 'programmed' in by yourself with patching? Were you aware of what the outcome beforehand?
yes i patched them up with the idea of creating a 'virtual' band, where instruments are playing off each other, the way musicians in a band might give each other nods for changes, accents etc. in the tune. it also creates hot spots where you get dynamic punch, but i had no idea how it would turn out, but as usual with modular its so easy to turn your ideas into something that works.

and if it doesnt you try something else, and it only takes a second.

since i posted ive now got some interesting things happening, where after you send things of at a tangent, it does unpredictable but musical sh!t that sounds like a group of jazz musicians went off on a mad one but it all gradually settles back to where it was at the start after a minute or so.

fractal madness.

i'm going to stop talking about it, i'll be releasing some stuffs real soon.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: Thing is, i need to look for that creative potential with midi so that means modern sequencers. Not really up on it all yet but am i right in thinking these new sequencers that combine midi and cv/gate can trigger analog and midi gear in the same rig?
yes you can run both types of gear,
but theres nothing to stop you doing that with a self build analogue modular sequencer either, you would use a CV to midi converter module. infact you could build a modular sequencer just to run midi gear if you wanted to, it doesnt just have to be used with a modular set-up.

think of it like went its all cased up, its just like any 'modern' stand alone analogue sequencer, except its way better, infinitely more flexible and you designed it yourself. (thats not as difficult as it sounds)

( its going to cost you a grand though to get a really interesting sequencer )

just making you aware of the options bro