How some crappy labels (owners) think?

- ask away
JasonNeumeyer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JasonNeumeyer »

Wow, sounds like you've had to experience what I've had for the past 5 years. No worries in regards to them keeping your track unless they release it without your permission. They're probably going to utilize it for their DJ set, which would better promote your music. I'd send your material to industry professionals before hitting the amateur rat packs. If your work isn't quality then I wouldn't push to hard to get it released on a major label like Sandwell District and stick with the net labels. Some are pretty well established and could land you some great opportunities for remixes from other labels. Drop a link for a demo so we can here your work and maybe someone will be able to direct you to a proper label.
"Techno flows through me like blood through highway veins..."
lcaise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcaise »

All this topic is a reason, why I prefer vinyl and vinyl is my subject for a forthcomming 2011.

If You have good enought deep-house, tech-house tracks, if You want contract, beatport [nowtrax, juno and tracksource are on the way!], promotion at few promo-pools & fb & ms, You want professional mastering and family-like structure -> join Our label ;)

www.myspace.com/tanztonerecords

We're digital at all, We don't have big success but We're normal peoples with passion.

At january We'll start sublabel: DISKKO MUSIK oriented in minimal-house, micro-house, dub-techno, deep-techno, acid-house and tech-house.

We're looking for talented artist - send demos to tanztone @ gmail.com

sorry for this advert guys, but mayby someone wan't to check Our label and join.

Greats and happy new year!
facebook.com/lcaise.official
facebook.com/tanztonerecords
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

oblioblioblio wrote:Anyways I'm just a little guy, and I don't have much experience. But my gut feeling is fck those guys who aren't prepared to invest. Even netlabels who don't earn 1 penny can find a way to do quality mastering and artwork.
I have a good family friend who runs a recording studio (non electronic music related) and this his how he makes his living. Its his only source of income and he has been doing it for 25 years so I consider him to be a professional. He is also a very good musician. I once engaged him in a conversation about mastering and in the end I garnered this little jewel.... If something needs mastering once it is ready then it was not well produced. A good producer should be able to make music that sounds good the first time around. If they need someone else to clean up their ineptitude then they shouldn't be calling themselves producers in the first place. A good producer is the master.

Second I think that anyone who is not willing to front the cash to have their own music mastered themselves should not expect anyone else to do it for them. That is just reality with a pinch of common courtesy. Just because someone started a label because they want to foster a sound or vibe does not mean that they are required to fork out days worth of working hours to master tracks for every tom, dck and harry who think they have made some acceptable bleeps and beats.

Unless you are running a label like minus or perlon I doubt the owners are making serious coin so people (aka producers) need to be real about the situation.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:If something needs mastering once it is ready then it was not well produced. A good producer should be able to make music that sounds good the first time around. If they need someone else to clean up their ineptitude then they shouldn't be calling themselves producers in the first place. A good producer is the master.

i totally agree.

when i started producing i assumed that i had to produce a finished track that could be pressed straight onto vinyl. and consequently i learned how to mix and master my own music right from the start, ..its part of producing for godsakes, anything less is just plain lazyiness.

its never been easier, theres never been so much information, theres never been so many software tools, ...theres no excuse !

if you want to impress a label, send them the finished product.
Last edited by steevio on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Second I think that anyone who is not willing to front the cash to have their own music mastered themselves should not expect anyone else to do it for them. That is just reality with a pinch of common courtesy. Just because someone started a label because they want to foster a sound or vibe does not mean that they are required to fork out days worth of working hours to master tracks for every tom, dck and harry who think they have made some acceptable bleeps and beats.
bro this is the wrong attitude to have. if I the label want to sign a track and release it to the public, it is MY cost to get it mastered and nobody elses. For example a digital track costs about £25 to get mastered and if the label thinks they cant make that small amount of money back then they should not be releasing the music.[/quote]
Last edited by ::BLM:: on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

this is not an attitude, this is the way things were done for a very long time before the advent of producers expecting to chuck tunes together and have instant success with very little effort, and banging them out as mp3s.

its no wonder theres such a watered down music scene flooded with mediocrity.

the only mastering that was ever done until very recently was what the cutting engineer did for the vinyl.

every producer that i know from the early days of EDM up until only a few years ago, had the abilty to produce quality finished tunes ready for the cut, and i dont see why it should be any different today.

its actually much easier now.

is it wrong to encourage new producers to take control of their destiny, and learn all the ins and outs of music production...?

is it wrong to encourage them to send demos that sound totally professional, displaying their ability as competent producers...?

btw this was never about labels and money, i was talking purely from a producers point of view.
as a label manager of course i would master anything that needed it.

edit sorry i realised that i quoted the whole of sheperd of anus post, it was suppose to be just the first bit,

i agree 'wrong attitude' to the second bit.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

following this
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I wasnt ^^^ you anyways bro. You just beat me and got the post in before I had managed to finish mine off.

I was refereing to this:

Unless you are running a label like minus or perlon I doubt the owners are making serious coin so people (aka producers) need to be real about the situation.
I can see where you are coming from Steevio, but for me I prefer to let someone else do my mastering for vinyl then use myself or the artists. I know that when I pay my money that the job is going to done properly with decent equipment and years and years of experience rather then some producer that has just whacked a limiter on it and essentially turned up the volume. we aim for professional approach each release, it doesn't matter what format its on so professional mastering is a must.
is it wrong to encourage new producers to take control of their destiny, and learn all the ins and outs of music production...?

is it wrong to encourage them to send demos that sound totally professional, displaying their ability as competent producers...?
No not at all, but your perception of mastering might be different to another persons. I have had people that told me not to get it mastered because they have put waves L2 on it, which obviously is rubbish so I told them to take it off and we shall get someone proper to do it. If everyone skipped mastering or did it themselves I think the quality of music would get even worse. Thing is I have a really good mastering engineer who I have worked with since 2006 so I can only see the positives of getting someone else to do it.

Who here has bought music from Beatport and been unable to play it because there has been no mastering on the file? I know I have loads of times...